Hilltoppers top Salukis

By Aaron Graff, @Aarongraff_DE

SIU baseball was supposed to play at home this weekend, but weather moved the three-game series to Bowling Green, Ky.

The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (5-5) used the home field advantage to sweep the Salukis (1-10).

“I thought they competed well,” coach Ken Henderson said. “I believe in our guys. I believe in what we’re doing. I think we are going to get better. We are better.”

Saturday, the two teams played a doubleheader. SIU lost 8-6 in the first game and lost 9-1 in the second game.

Redshirt senior Aaron Hauge made his third start of the season in game one. He allowed 6 earned runs on 7 hits, 3 walks and 4 strikeouts in 4.2 innings pitched. He suffered the loss.

WKU junior Josh Bartley earned the win, allowing 4 earned runs on 11 hits, 3 walks and no strikeouts in 5.1 innings.

Freshman infielder Greg Lambert and freshman catcher Taylor Martin each recorded three hits. Lambert was 3-for-5 with 3 RBIs. Martin was 3-for-4 with 1 run scored.

In game two, the Salukis recorded just 3 hits as a team.

Sophomore Kyle Pruemer made his third start and took the loss. He allowed 5 earned runs on 5 hits, 4 walks and 4 strikeouts in 5 innings.

WKU junior John Harman got the win as he did not allow any runs on 2 hits, 0 walks and 8 strikeouts in 6 innings.

Redshirt sophomore Kevin Elder earned the save, giving up 1 unearned run on 1 hit, 1 walk and 2 strikeouts in 3 innings.

Sunday, the Dawgs dropped the final game of the series, 11-6.

Sophomore Kyle Pauly made his first appearance of the season after sitting out the first 10 games because of shoulder soreness.

Pauly threw 1.2 innings and surrendered 7 earned runs on 6 hits, 2 walks and 1 strikeout, receiving the loss.

Henderson said he was happy just to see Pauly take the mound.

“He’s going to be a big part of our success and what we do this year,” Henderson said. “It’s good to see him healthy.”

Henderson said Pauly was going to be limited to roughly 50 pitches, regardless of how successful he was. 

WKU junior Austin King started for the Hilltoppers, but did not throw the required 5 innings to be eligible for the win. He surrendered 3 earned runs on 6 hits, 2 walks and 3 strikeouts in 4.2 innings pitched.

Sophomore Cody Coll earned the win and senior Brennan Pearson collected the save.

Sophomore outfielder and catcher Jake Hand finished 3-for-5. Freshman designated hitter Hunter Anderson went 2-for-4 with 3 RBIs.

The Salukis play Arkansas State at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Itchy Jones Stadium.

Aaron Graff can be reached at [email protected] or at 536-3311 ext. 256.