Daily Egyptian

Carbondale mayor announces Tim Beaty Day

Tim Beaty with his son Jacob. (Provided photo by Jessica Beaty)

By Bill Lukitsch

Carbondale Mayor Mike Henry issued a proclamation Tuesday night during a city council meeting to honor an area musician killed in a shooting earlier this year.

Local punk rock drummer Tim Beaty, 41, was shot in the early hours of March 27 after a party next door to his home erupted in gunfire. Three of four men allegedly involved in the shooting have since been arrested and are being tried in Jackson County Court.

The mayor recognized the 10 years Beaty spent playing with a number of bands in the Carbondale area, among them “Blast Radius,” “Conniption Fits,” “Hippie Repellent,” and “It Burns.”

“His sophisticated, unique drumming will forever be a trademark of the Carbondale music scene,” Henry said.

Friends of Tim Beaty said he was an excellent drummer. (Provided photo)

Friends of Tim Beaty said he was an excellent drummer. (Provided photo by Patrick Houdek)

The proclamation established Sept. 4, 2016, as Timothy “Tim” Beaty Day and is to be celebrated with “musical contribution and influence” from local musicians, the mayor said.

MORE: How Tim Beaty saved the lives of two SIU students before losing his

Campus editor Bill Lukitsch can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @lukitsbill.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Carbondale mayor announces Tim Beaty Day”

1. Bill Session on August 31st, 2016 8:00 am

Tim Beaty gave the ultimate sacrifice and died a hero. The actions of Tim Beaty will always be remembered.

2. Bollman on August 31st, 2016 2:04 pm

Tim would have cringed at being labeled a “punk rock” drummer.

Rest in Peace, brother.

3. SHANNON on August 31st, 2016 2:30 pm

This Is Amazing! Spreading His ♡ In Harmony and Strings! I See A Beautiful Little Musican In The Future!

4. Jean Hall on September 1st, 2016 5:43 am

We heard about this amazing man here in Britain. He sacrificed his own life to save the lives of others. It is wonderful that his courage is being recognised by a special day and there’s no better way than a musical memorial in his honour. May the message of harmony, peace and love spread far and wide across America and the rest of the world.

5. Brian Keith Cox on January 7th, 2017 12:58 am

Long live Tim Beauty. RIP! I will always love you! Always.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The student news site of Southern Illinois University