Student Office to Serve as Center In Coordinating Campus Activities

First step toward a complete organization of combined student activities has been made with the creation of a student office. The office, located in the second story of the personnel dean’s building, will serve to coordinate all student activities, both academic and social and act as a liason, between student and faculty.

Each year’s Student Council president will have his headquarters there; working under him will be a student secretary. The office was established when it was found that individual houses and organizations who had no central meeting place and no equipment to work with needed a headquarters to continue their operations. There at the student office they will have access to typewriters, mimeograph, can keep their records there and send their correspondence from that office.

In the words of Chuck Chandler, present office secretary, “Working directly with organizations and others, we will be able to keep an up-to-date account of activities so that the publicity on any of their events can be combined if necessary and put out as quickly as possible.” The office will keep files and will at all times be in close contact with the deans’ offices. This way, they will be able to check advisability of plans and procedures of various organizations concerning matters of policy. One of the aims of the student office is to have a thorough understanding between student organizations and events and the administrative offices. Any person or group needing advice or information about any matter pertaining to the University will find the office ready to assist them. Along this line Chandler stated, “Faculty members are so heavily loaded they can’t give the proper amount of time and advice to organizations. We are not trying to take the place of faculty sponsors, but take part of the burden off their shoulders.”

The office keeps files on all events having to do with the entire student body. Recent events such as the University Open House and the Hospitality Week End were assisted by the office. Organizations using the office as a meeting place are the Student Council, Student Legislative committee, Student Publications Council, and the World Student Service Fund committee.

Other purposes of the office are to try to get more students interested in the running of student affairs, and to increase attendance and active participation in organizations. At the present the office is making a study of the meeting times of all groups. Through this they will make a report to the University on meeting nights so a better schedule of night classes might be drawn up. Next fall they plan to publish a regular calendar of all meetings of clubs and coming events as a reminder and incentive to student participation and attendance.