Salukis maul Bears

Salukis maul Bears

By Thomas Donley, @tdonleyDE

The SIU football team won its first Missouri Valley Football Conference game of the year Saturday, in front of the fewest fans in the history of Saluki Stadium.

5,504 attendees saw the Salukis (2-3, 1-1 MVFC) beat Missouri State (1-4, 0-2) 73-26.

Nine Salukis scored touchdowns in the game, two of whom had never scored before.

“We really want to have some opportunities for young guys to get in and play,” Lennon said. “You can’t count on games where you’re up several scores at the end, so when you do have it, you really want to take advantage of it.”

Saluki senior quarterback Mark Iannotti set the tone with a 61-yard touchdown run on the second play from scrimmage in the game. 

“I just happened to slip through,” Iannotti said. “I had no idea I would make it to the end zone. I was waiting for about 30 yards for someone to come from behind and tackle me.”

Iannotti found senior wide receivers Israel Lamprakes and Billy Reed for touchdowns in the first quarter. The Dawgs led 21-3 after the first quarter. 

The Bears found the end zone twice in the second quarter, but Saluki junior kicker Austin Johnson’s last-minute field goal made SIU’s halftime lead 38-16.

Saluki junior linebacker Chase Allen recovered a fumble forced by senior outside linebacker Leonard Garron and returned it 25 yards for a touchdown 48 seconds into the second half.

SIU freshman running back Chris Perkins scored his first two career touchdowns in the second half.

Redshirt freshman running back Jonathon Mixon and senior tight end Josh Skadeland also recorded their first career touchdowns for SIU.

Iannotti amassed 312 total yards on the night. He completed 13 of 20 passes for three touchdowns and an interception.

Bears junior quarterback Brodie Lambert finished 6-11 with 51 yards and a touchdown. His backup, redshirt freshman Breck Ruddick added 83 passing yards.

Perkins led all rushers with 116 yards on six attempts.

Missouri State senior running back RyanHeaston led the Bears with 76 yards. Bears redshirt freshman running back Jason Randall added 52 yards and two touchdowns on the ground.

Bears sophomore wide receiver Malik Earl caught four passes for a game-high 106 yards. Lamprakes led nine Saluki receivers with 84 yards.

Missouri State junior linebacker Dylan Cole recorded a game-high 14 tackles. Saluki junior linebacker Chase Allen led the Dawgs with 11.

The combined 99 points and 974 total yards were Saluki Stadium records. SIU’s 673 total yards were the most it had gained this season.

Thomas Donley can be reached at [email protected] or at 536-3311