His opponents were in for a challenge when they faced John Phillips in a game of Scrabble. He had a habit of plunking down tiles to form words they did not recognize, only to prove to protesters who brought out the dictionary the words really existed.

He had an enormous appetite for knowledge, colleague David Tyrrell said. He was a deadly opponent.

Those who worked with Phillips, chemistry and biochemistry professor at SIUC who died unexpectedly June 19 from an infection that spread from his colon to his bloodstream, remember him for his intelligence and quiet manner.

Tyrrell, also a chemistry and biochemistry professor, worked with Phillips, 51, in the department for 22 years, and regarded Phillips as a very private person and a first-class researcher who was extraordinarily bright.

He wasn’t the kind of person that said a lot, Tyrrell said. He spoke when he had something positive to contribute. He didn’t talk just for the sake of talking.

Phillips’ quiet manner was complemented by his care for others, Tyrrell said, especially his three children.

One thing I always noticed, he was always there for people, he said. He spent a lot of time helping his children. He was extremely proud of his family and accomplishments. He was there when something needed to be dealt with.

John Koropchak, interim dean of the Graduate School, was a colleague of Phillips for 15 years. Phillips stood out to him as a person who was creative and inventive.

He was one who thought differently about things, Koropchak said, and came up with unique approaches and types of ideas.

Scientifically, Phillips will best be remembered for his contribution to separations chemistry, which involves the separation of substances into their components.

He developed the theoretical aspects and instrumentation for comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography, which significantly enhanced the ability of scientists to separate complex mixtures. Previously, scientists had the ability to do this only in one dimension.

The instrument has been patented and is being developed for marketing by the Zoek company in Nebraska.

Tyrrell said the instrument has enormous potential in the long-run to have a impact on progress in environmental, biomedical and other scientific fields.

Phillips was appointed chairman of the SIUC Chemistry and Biochemistry Department in August 1998. David Koster is serving as acting chairman until a permanent chair is appointed.

Phillips joined the SIU faculty in 1977 after gradating with a doctorate from the University of Arizona. In 1983, he was promoted to associate professor, and in 1991 he became a full professor. He received his bachelor degree in chemistry in 1970 from the University of California Irvine.

Koropchak said that although he did not know Phillips well because of his reserved nature, he is going to miss working alongside him.

We were colleagues for 15 years, which is half of my life at this point, Koropchak said. Having to see him pass away was a shock to me, to everyone in the department. All the faculty valued him.