Daily Egyptian

Beane’s 26 points lead SIU past Drake

By Sean Carley, @SCarleyDE

SIU men’s basketball clinched its first winning regular season since the 2007-08 season Sunday by defeating Drake 81-76 in Des Moines, Iowa.

The Salukis (16-3, 5-1 Missouri Valley Conference) have the best road record (7-0) in the country and in team history. The Dawgs are one of seven Division I teams undefeated away from home.

Senior guard Anthony Beane led SIU with 26 points, his fifth-highest output of the season. 

Five Salukis finished in double figures, including redshirt freshman forward Austin Weiher, who tied his career-high with 10 points on 5-5 shooting.

Sophomore guard Reed Timmer led the Bulldogs with a game-high 27 points on 8-14 shooting.

The first half was back and forth early, as the lead changed hands nine times. Despite the lead changes, Drake (5-13, 0-6 MVC) led for just 2:29 in the first half.

SIU finished the half on a 12-2 run as junior center Bola Olaniyan registered five points, two rebounds, one block and a steal in the final minute to give the Salukis their halftime lead of 42-31.

Olaniyan picked up his sixth career double-double in the game, finishing with 11 points and 14 rebounds. His 14 rebounds tie his career high.

Turnovers played a large role in the first half, as SIU forced 12 from Drake and only gave the ball away once. The Salukis scored 20 points on the Bulldogs’ turnovers.

Drake’s offense was strong in the second half, shooting 59.3 percent (16-27) from the field and 45.5 percent (5-11) from 3-point range.

Drake came back to take the lead with 8:06 left in the game, but a 13-2 Saluki run gave the team a 10-point lead that lasted until the final buzzer.

The Dawgs return home to take on the Indiana State Sycamores at 7 p.m. Wednesday at SIU Arena.

Sean Carley can be reached at [email protected] or at 536-3304.