International students face problems with college expenses

International students may face tuition increase

Students attending universities across the state and country have faced tuition increases due to America’s current economic status. However, talk of a tuition increase for international students at SIUC has presented a new concern for the students.

Although an increase in tuition has not yet been decided, the Board of Trustees discussed a tuition rise that would cause international students to pay 2 1/2 times more than what in-state students are currently paying.

Both American and international students attended an open meeting Wednesday in the Student Center to discuss the tuition increases. Chancellor Walter Wendler spoke at the meeting to explain the possible tuition changes. International students share concerns about the possible tuition increase.

” I understand the financial problems SIUC faces, but the increase is still too high,” said Fawaz Alanezi, a graduate student in sociology from Kuwait and president of the Kuwaiti Student Association. “A gradual increase would be much better than such a sudden change.”

“In reality, a lot of students from poor countries will not be able to study at SIUC because of the tuition increase,” said Wan Kamal Wan Napi, a doctoral student in sociology from Malaysia and president of the International Student Council.

International students often have more difficulties finding a job to help to pay for college expenses because they are required to fill out a request form before they are allowed to have a job.

“Even if students decide to fill out a permit to get a job, we are only allowed to work a certain amount of hours [20],” said Abdel Mohammad, a third-year doctorate student majoring in comparative English from Palestine and president of the Arab Sudanese Association. “Even if we do work, it is still not enough money to pay for tuition, bills and rent.”

Mohammad also said international students face more difficulties finding a job because of the language barrier they often face. With the language complications and limited amount of hours international students receive, American students usually have a better chance to receive a job while attending college.

Alanezi said international students would be discouraged to attend SIUC if the tuition increase goes into effect.

“Of course, the current rate suggested will affect international students’ decision to go to SIUC,” Alanezi said. “From what I know, the tuition is really high for international students in comparison to other schools.”

“One dollar is nothing in America, but in poor countries people could eat for a month on one dollar,” Wan Napi said. “Even a small increase could affect international students.”

A meeting where international students discuss their concerns on the possible increase will also take place Nov. 7 in a location that will be announced at a later date.