Response to ‘Chalk, queens, and raindances: A modest proposal’

Dear Editor:

While some of us were attempting to perform a Native American rain dance dressed like an eagle, others of us were busy preparing for this weekend’s festivities, including “absent-mindedly doodling” chalk advertisements for our favorite king and queen candidates.

Homecoming has been an SIUC tradition for many years. Showing our Saluki pride by decorating floats for the Homecoming parade, voting for a Homecoming king and queen, tailgating and attending the big football game is what defines our Saluki Homecoming tradition. Homecoming is not only celebrated by the students and faculty but also by the alumni. One would think that, as an anthropology major, Mr. Sam Packard would support our Homecoming tradition. While Mr. Packard refers to our Homecoming court candidates as “goons and goonesses,” he fails to realize that the candidates are top of their class, very active and some of the most involved people on campus.

Not only is this tradition celebrated by SIUC, but Homecoming is celebrated all over the United States and has become an American institution. If you were to ask an alumni or an upperclassman what one of their most memorable moments of college were, they would more than likely respond with a memory from homecoming or a similar event. While some students come to college for the intellectual offerings, others come not only to get an education but to expand their social horizons. Any top university incorporates education and play.

Mr. Packard stated that ” … You probably need to go back to high school” if you support the Homecoming tradition. Well, he needs to brush up on his research because Homecoming started at the college level with a coronation ceremony and a sporting event and was later adopted by high schools all over the country. In all reality, Homecoming is a fun-filled tradition. As college students, we still look forward to all Homecoming events have to offer. Let’s face reality: College is not just studying and getting an education. There’s more to it. Homecoming is just a tradition that offers more room for social growth, which a lecture cannot provide.

Jessica Backer

freshman studying English education

Samantha Kissack

sophomore studying communication disorders and sciences

Jessica Pejka

sophomore studying equestrian science