Grand jury indicts SEMO students on gun charges

By Bill Lukitsch, @Bill_LukitschDE

A Jackson County grand jury decided Monday to indict three Southeast Missouri State University students on multiple firearm charges related to a Carbondale shooting incident that killed one and injured another last month.

Co-defendants Travis Tyler, 21, of Hazelwood, Mo., and John Ingram, 21, of Webster Groves, Mo., were each indicted on two counts of aggravated discharge of a firearm and one count of aggravated battery with a firearm. Both men face a maximum sentence of 60 years in prison if convicted on all counts.

The third suspect in the case, Dwayne Dunn Jr., 21, of St. Louis, was indicted on two felony counts for allegedly firing a Smith & Wesson handgun in the air and illegal possession of a firearm under state statutes.

Police responded to reports of shots fired about 2 a.m. March 27 in the 400 block of West Walnut Street. Investigating officers learned an altercation at a party led to the shooting.

Shots were fired inside and outside the house, police said. 

Tim Beaty, 41, was killed by a stray bullet in his home next door, police said during a press conference March 28. A second victim, Nehemiah Greenlee, was taken to Carbondale Memorial Hospital for a non-life-threatening injury and later transferred to a St. Louis-area hospital where he was treated, police said. 

MORE: How Tim Beaty saved two lives before losing his | Bond set at $1M for suspects in Easter shooting

Police are still searching for Daniel Holmes, 21, of Carbondale, as a fourth suspect wanted on felony gun charges for alleged involvement in the shooting.

Holmes is also suspected to have participated in a separate incident at Evolve Apartments at SIU, an apartment complex near campus, where a 19-year-old male victim sustained a gunshot wound to his lower back.

Police consider Holmes armed and dangerous.

Anyone with information about these incidents is encouraged to contact the Carbondale Police Department at 618-457-3200 or Crime Stoppers at 618-549-COPS (2677).

Bill Lukitsch can be reached at [email protected] or 618-536-3329.