Two new recruits commit to Saluki football

Saluki football has started the recovery process as it welcomed two recruits for a weekend campus visit, a trip that ended in two oral commitments.

Billy Reed, a senior from Lockport Township High School, and Ryan West, a senior from Oswego High School, came to SIU to see what the school had to offer them, and both were satisfied enough with the facilities and coaching staff to verbally commit to head coach Dale Lennon, according to a report by the Chicago Tribune.

Reed, who was recruited as a wide receiver, was his team’s starting quarterback his  junior and senior year, and both seasons led the team to back-to-back playoff appearances. Reed took his team to a 7-4 season and a first-round playoff victory.

According to the Herald-News, Reed said he had offers from Illinois State and the University of Pennsylvania in addition to SIU.

West, also a starting quarterback in high school, was recruited to SIU to maintain the position. He led the Oswego team to an 8-3 season.

West completed 215 passes on 402 attempts for a .535 completion percentage for a total of 3,054 yards. He averaged 277.6 passing yards per game and finished the season with 29 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

Athletic director Mario Moccia was unable to be contacted Tuesday for comment on the players’ commitments.