Police investigating attempted robbery and battery on campus

Two victims reported an attempted strong-arm robbery and aggravated battery on campus about 11:45 p.m. Saturday.

The Department of Public Safety is investigating the crime, which victims said occurred on the west side of the Student Recreation Center. According to the campus safety alert, the three suspects beat up the victims and searched through their pockets for valuables but found nothing.

The first suspect is described as a black male, about 5-feet-10-inches tall with a faded haircut. The second suspect is described as a black male, about 5-feet-10-inches tall with dreadlocks, and the third suspect is described as a black male slightly taller than the other two.

The Campus Safety Alert states the two victims were walking between the Newman Center and at the Recreation Center Base Camp when they saw one of the suspects, who appeared to be ill. When they tried to walk around him, the other two suspects attacked them. They were last seen walking south toward the Brush Towers.

Rod Sievers, university spokesman, said as of 4:30 p.m. Tuesday there were no updates to the case.

Anyone with information about the incident is encouraged to call the SIU Carbondale Department of Public Safety at 453-3771 or the Crime Stoppers Line at 549-COPS.