Jarrett Hensley (32) claps in celebration as the clock runs out to give SIU the win over Murray State Feb. 21, 2024 at Banterra Center in Carbondale, Illinois.
Horsin' Around: Salukis beat the Racers in a photo finish
By Jamilah Lewis, Sports Editor • February 21, 2024

Jarrett Hensley and Kennard Davis Jr. played heroes on Wednesday night, as both had key blocks in the final minute of a 72-68 victory for Southern...

African Week celebrates unity and tradition on campus
By Annalise Schmidt, News Reporter • February 21, 2024

This week unfolds as a testament to diversity within the African continent and a call to recognize its contributions to the global community,...

WPOW! Women photojournalists featured in Sharp Museum 
By Annalise SchmidtFebruary 21, 2024

The Women Photojournalists of Washington (WPOW) marks its 16th Annual Photography and Multimedia Exhibition this year, shining a spotlight on...

Spring semester features yet another enrollment surge

Julian Castillo | @julian_castillo24
The statue of three Salukis stands proudly at the Saluki Alumni Plaza Ribbon Cutting Ceremony Oct. 15, 2021 in Carbondale, Ill.

Enrollment for the Spring 2024 semester at Southern Illinois University saw a 4% increase from the year previous, Spring 2023. Undergraduate enrollment is expected to be around a 4.39% increase, while graduate students make up about a 3.48% increase. 

The Fall 2023 semester was the first since 2014 to feature an enrollment increase, which means SIU is continuing a trend in the right direction. The 2023-2024 academic year has proven to be successful for Chancellor Austin Lane. 

“After an amazing fall, we have a fantastic start to the spring semester. This latest news again shows how Salukis imagine bold goals and then work tirelessly to achieve them,” Lane said. 

After some students graduated in December, there are currently around 10,525 students continuing their academic career as Salukis. 

“Like our efforts to bring students to SIU-Carbondale to start or continue their education, our work to retain students and help them stay in school is university-wide,” Lane said. 

The university has made strides to ease the financial burden on students who attend SIU, with programs like; Saluki Step Ahead, Saluki Commitment and the HEROES program. 

SIU is also launching the Say Yes Initiative, a tool for qualifying local high school students to have their application process streamlined, in another effort to increase student enrollment for the Fall 2024 semester. 

“This success is not magic. It is the result of the strategic, diligent efforts of many Salukis – our faculty and staff, our alumni and friends, members of the community and even our students,” Lane said.