Big Ben in London is just one of the many sites on the study abroad trip Empireland.
Column: Empireland and the joys of studying abroad
By Carly Gist, Staff Reporter • June 17, 2024

From Ireland to Japan, Southern Illinois University’s Study Abroad Program is offering several global seminars this summer. One program, however,...

Kaneesha Mallory, 34, looks out the window of her apartment with her four year old daughter Bre’Chelle April 19, 2024 at Loarn L. Shuemaker Jr Building in Cairo, Illinois. Mallory has lived in Cairo nearly her entire life and returned back in 2002 after moving away with her family in 1998.
Illinois made a bold promise to end poverty. In Alexander County, it’s hard to tell.
By Lylee Gibbs, Jamilah Lewis, Molly Parker, and Julia RendlemanJune 11, 2024

This story, produced in partnership with Capitol News Illinois, was supported by grant funding from the Pulitzer Center. Pink and purple toys...

Fuel your ambition: Stryke connects students and professionals in a new way to network
By Carly Gist, Staff Reporter • June 9, 2024

A recent Southern Illinois University graduate has created an app in hopes of strengthening professional networking relationships. Stryke, a...

Grammy-worthy talent coming to 45th Sunset Concert Series beginning June 13

It’s the 45th season for one of Southern Illinois’ favorite summer traditions – the Sunset Concert Series – and this year’s exciting and eclectic lineup includes two Grammy nominees.

Summer 2024’s concert season kicks off June 13 on the lawn of Shryock Auditorium at Southern Illinois University Carbondale and features six weeks of free musical entertainment for all ages and musical tastes. The venue alternates between the scenic campus locale and Turley Park on the west side of Carbondale. The public, family-friendly outdoor performances, held each Thursday evening through July 25 (with the exception of July 4), are all free.

“SIU is thrilled to continue this summer tradition,” said Sean Cooney, assistant director of student engagement and programming. “Sunset Concerts are a staple of summers in Carbondale, and we look forward to a great lineup of artists for the community to enjoy.”

Enjoyable evening for all

All concerts begin at 7 p.m. and last about two hours. Concert-goers are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or blankets and may bring refreshments as well. Food trucks will be available at each concert as well.

The 2024 schedule includes:

• June 13 – John Primer, Shryock lawn. A Chicago blues icon, Primer has been bandleader and lead guitarist for the likes of Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon and other legends and recorded or played with many greats including the Rolling Stones, Buddy Guy, John Winter and Gary Clark Jr. He’s a three-time Grammy nominee and winner of multiple Lifetime Achievement Awards from assorted blues societies.
  • June 20 – The Cody Sisters, Turley Park. Talented sisters Megan and Maddie both play banjo and guitar and sing vocals. They team with bass player Will Pavilonis to present their special brand of contemporary acoustic folk and bluegrass, featuring warm harmonies and driving instrumental solos, that’s taking the U.S. and the U.K. by storm.
  • June 29 – Andi Jane & the Honky-Tonk Cabaret, Turley Park. Playing a unique blend of country, jazz, rock, and rhythm and blues, the band touts itself as one of Nashville’s hidden gems, giving listeners a special, immersive experience.
  • July 11 – Bill Poss and the Useful Tools, Shyrock lawn. Poss is a longtime songwriter and storyteller with a repertoire of folk, bluegrass and Americana music, and the Useful Tools members vary as he has different musicians play gigs with him from time to time.
  • July 18 – LoneHollow, Turley Park. Vocalist Rylie Bourne of Illinois and guitarist Damon Atkins of North Carolina connected in Nashville to create their lively, Southern rock-infused country, Americana and bluegrass sound.
  • July 25 – Buckwheat Zydeco Jr. and The Legendary iLs Sont Partis Band, Shryock lawn. This band, a multi-Grammy winner and nominee, has the three bestselling zydeco albums of all time, and it has performed with artists including Eric Clapton, U2, Lyle Lovett and the Boston Pops as well as during the closing ceremonies for the 1996 Summer Olympics. The band appeared multiple times on the Late Show with David Letterman, along with CNN, Today, NBC News, CBS Morning News and more.

A few rules ensure enjoyment

The ever-popular concerts have drawn large crowds for evenings of listening, dancing and musical fun for decades. To assure all audience members have a safe, enjoyable time, there are a few rules.

Bans on glass bottles, kegs, smoking, grilling and solicitation will be enforced as will underage drinking laws. Single-serve containers only are permitted. This year for the first time, pets are allowed, but they must be leashed.

For additional information, visit sunset.siu.edu, call 618-453-5714 or follow the Office of Student Engagement on Facebook or Instagram.

SIU and its Office of Student Engagement, along with the City of Carbondale and the Carbondale Park District, are collaborating to provide the musical entertainment.