Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will become commander and a professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at 10 a.m. Friday, June 28, at Saluki Alumni Plaza, located between Woody and Pulliam halls on the SIU campus.
Murphysboro native named commander of SIU Air Force ROTC 
By Carly Gist, News Editor • July 15, 2024

Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will soon take over as commander and professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at Southern Illinois...

Marcus Domask (left) and Lance Jones (right) during a Purdue-Illinois game Jan. 5, 2024 at
Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Indiana. Photo credit to Illinois Athletics.
Three Former Salukis set to play in NBA Summer League 
By Ryan Grieser, Sports Reporter • July 13, 2024

As the NBA 2K25 Summer League kicked off on July 12, three former Salukis began their professional basketball careers.  Though none of them...

SIU chancellor, Austin Lane, poses for a portrait in his office on Monday, Aug. 17, 2020 in Anthony Hall at SIU.
SIU leadership gets bonuses, salary increases from Board of Trustees
By Carly Gist, News Editor • July 11, 2024

Three proposals received approval by the SIU Board of Trustees regarding salary increases for university officials at the July 11th meeting. The...

CAM mourns passing of architecture professor

Architecture Professor Jon Daniel Davey is being remembered as having a “glorious career.” College of Arts and Media Dean Hong Cheng announced Davey’s death in an email to his colleagues Sunday, September 10.

“With a very heavy heart, I am bringing you this sad news: Dr. Jon Daniel Davey, our beloved colleague and a longtime professor of architecture at SIUC passed away at Herrin Hospital yesterday ‘after several weeks in a delicate state of health,’” Cheng wrote.

Davey was born on August 21,1952 in Buffalo, New York. He served in the US Army from 1972-1975, during his early 20s. He is survived by his sons, Jared Davey and Brooks Davey, brother Bruce Davey and life partner Barb Cypin,

Later in life, he found his home at Southern Illinois University, from which he earned his doctorate in 2011. 

Davey is listed on SIU’s website as Distinguished Faculty and had earned the architecture school’s Teacher of the Year award five times, along with two College Teacher of the Year awards. 

He was also recognized for giving back to the community through two programs; Kid Architecture and The Architecture Camp. He would hold these camps over the summer, to give the opportunity for people of all ages to better understand building structure. 

“With his kindness, talent, and dedication, Professor Davey enlightened numerous individuals’ souls and lives in his glorious career. He will be dearly missed by the CAM family and far beyond,” Cheng said.

Davey had served as president of the Bucky Fuller Dome Home board since 2012. His family asks for donations to be sent to Bucky Fuller Dome Home Preservation Project or St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in remembrance.

Visit his obituary here.

(Editor’s note: an earlier version of this story identified Cypin as Davey’s wife. She is his life partner. Davey did not have any sons)