Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will become commander and a professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at 10 a.m. Friday, June 28, at Saluki Alumni Plaza, located between Woody and Pulliam halls on the SIU campus.
Murphysboro native named commander of SIU Air Force ROTC 
By Carly Gist, News Editor • July 15, 2024

Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will soon take over as commander and professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at Southern Illinois...

Marcus Domask (left) and Lance Jones (right) during a Purdue-Illinois game Jan. 5, 2024 at
Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Indiana. Photo credit to Illinois Athletics.
Three Former Salukis set to play in NBA Summer League 
By Ryan Grieser, Sports Reporter • July 13, 2024

As the NBA 2K25 Summer League kicked off on July 12, three former Salukis began their professional basketball careers.  Though none of them...

SIU chancellor, Austin Lane, poses for a portrait in his office on Monday, Aug. 17, 2020 in Anthony Hall at SIU.
SIU leadership gets bonuses, salary increases from Board of Trustees
By Carly Gist, News Editor • July 11, 2024

Three proposals received approval by the SIU Board of Trustees regarding salary increases for university officials at the July 11th meeting. The...

SIU Carbondale’s logo showcases Saluki spirit

You may have noticed a different look on banners across campus and billboards — the logo for Southern Illinois University Carbondale now incorporates elements of the university’s academic logo with the doghead of Saluki athletics. Today the university continues to further unify its brand with an update of its stationery system and soon new email signatures.

“Our logo showcases our proud history, first-class academics, premier research, and the excitement, energy and enthusiasm of student life and Saluki athletics,” said Jeff Harmon, SIU Carbondale’s chief marketing and communications officer. “It fits well with our Imagine 2030 strategic plan, especially the pillar to refine SIU Carbondale’s brand and increase our visibility in the Southern Illinois region and beyond.”

Harmon said efforts to enhance the SIU Carbondale brand will continue, in consultation with stakeholders in the Saluki family.

“When people think about branding, the logo and colors come to mind first, but a brand is so much more than that,” he said. “A brand is about our identity and reputation. SIU Carbondale has so much going for it. We want our brand to capture that.”

University Communications and Marketing conducted a soft launch of the modified logo in the past few months as it updated marketing and promotional materials. Colleges, schools and other university units can request the updated logo in their identifiers by filling out the Request for SIU Carbondale Identifier Form. They can also order stationery and business cards with the logo. In a few days, a new email signature generator will be launched.

View Comments (1)