Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will become commander and a professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at 10 a.m. Friday, June 28, at Saluki Alumni Plaza, located between Woody and Pulliam halls on the SIU campus.
Murphysboro native named commander of SIU Air Force ROTC 
By Carly Gist, News Editor • July 15, 2024

Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will soon take over as commander and professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at Southern Illinois...

Marcus Domask (left) and Lance Jones (right) during a Purdue-Illinois game Jan. 5, 2024 at
Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Indiana. Photo credit to Illinois Athletics.
Three Former Salukis set to play in NBA Summer League 
By Ryan Grieser, Sports Reporter • July 13, 2024

As the NBA 2K25 Summer League kicked off on July 12, three former Salukis began their professional basketball careers.  Though none of them...

SIU chancellor, Austin Lane, poses for a portrait in his office on Monday, Aug. 17, 2020 in Anthony Hall at SIU.
SIU leadership gets bonuses, salary increases from Board of Trustees
By Carly Gist, News Editor • July 11, 2024

Three proposals received approval by the SIU Board of Trustees regarding salary increases for university officials at the July 11th meeting. The...

Rising Covid cases prompts university response

Mallory Aukland | [email protected]
SIU student nurse packages a COVID-19 test Jan. 12, 2022 at Grinnell Hall in Carbondale, Ill.

Cases of COVID-19 are on the rise, according to the Illinois Department of Health, which says hospitalizations and deaths remain low.

In response, SIU Carbondale updated its Virus Info website with tips to stay safe and new FAQs, and has revived the [email protected] account to respond to any questions.

The Emergency Operations Center says SIU is in a much better position to respond to COVID than in 2020, when the pandemic was at its peak. There are measures anyone can take to protect themselves and curtail the spread of illness. These include: Staying home if you feel sick, washing your hands, avoiding crowds when possible, and wearing a mask indoors and in crowded areas, especially if you have symptoms.

SIU is reminding students, faculty and staff, if you test positive for COVID, please follow CDC guidelines. In most cases, that means isolating for five days, then wearing a mask another five days. If you need to miss class or work, it is your responsibility to contact your instructors and/or supervisor and work out arrangements.

Students can receive COVID tests and care at the Student Health Center during normal business hours, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. Appointments can be made through the Saluki Health Portal or by calling 618-453-3311. If you need care outside normal business hours, it is available at SIH Medical Group Walk-in-Clinics and Shawnee Health Services Same Day. If students need assistance with transportation for non-emergency medical care, they can contact SIU’s Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 618-453-3771 for assistance.

Vaccines are still a defense against serious illness. The Jackson County Health Department offers clinics for flu shots and the bivalent COVID-19 boosters (original and omicron BA.4/BA.5 strains). Visit jchdonline.org. An updated COVID booster is expected in mid- to late September.

The Emergency Operations Center says it continues to monitor the situation and will adapt plans as needed.

View Comments (1)