Saluki Baseball run-rules UT Martin in 7 innings, 14-2

By Joseph Bernard, Staff Reporter

SIU baseball notched their third run-rule win of the season today after multiple runs were scored in innings two and three for the Salukis. SIU managed to get five runners across home plate in the third, eight in the third inning, and the winning run in the fifth inning.

Highlighting the night was senior Christian Grey-Epps, who went three for three in his at-bats with three RBIs, including a home run. Sophomore designated hitter Evan Martin also notched three RBIs while going two for two at the plate.

The Saluki’s starting pitcher today was junior Jake Combs. He hurled for four innings while allowing two hits, two earned runs, struck out five, and walked a batter. He earned his second win of the season, making him 2-0 on the year.

The Saluki bats got started early with their five-run second inning. The first four batters got on base and led to Evan Martin’s bases-clearing triple to score three runs. Martin was able to come home after a groundout by junior Ryan Rodriguez. Grey-Epps got on base with a single of his own, then stole second to give Cody Cleveland an RBI chance. He capitalized on this with a single of his own to score Grey-Epps, making for the fifth run of the inning.

The third became even bigger with nine of the first ten batters reaching base safely. Singles by Martin, Grey-Epps, Cleveland, senior J.T Webber, and junior Pier-Olivier Boucher all scored runs for SIU as well as two walks and a wild pitch let three more runs in.

Heading into the fifth, it was a 13-2 Saluki lead, but Grey-Epps wasn’t finished yet as he drove one out past the wall on the left-field line for SIU’s 14th run of the night and his third RBI of the game. They were able to close this game out early in the seventh after junior pitchers Jordan Bloemer and Jordan Gould were able to keep the lead above 10 runs for the Salukis.

SIU will continue their season on Friday, April 1 with their first Missouri Valley Conference game of the year against the Bradley Braves. First-pitch is set for 6 p.m for that game.

Sports reporter Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001.

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.