SIU softball splits games against Missouri State in first conference clash

By Cole Daily, Staff Reporter

Southern Illinois traveled to Springfield, Missouri to take on the Bears of Missouri State on Wednesday, March 16. This double-header was the Salukis’ first time against a Missouri Valley Conference opponent.

The first game was a grueling fifteen innings long. The Salukis eventually came out on top, 6-2.

SIU managed to get on the board with one point in the first inning. Both teams hit a dry spell until the fifth when MSU managed to tie the game, 1-1.

The rest of the first seven innings weren’t much to be excited about. Neither team scored until the 13th inning, where both teams put one more point on the board. Heading into the 14th, the score became 2-2.

In dire need of a score, SIU junior Tori Schullian stepped up to the plate, bases loaded. At the top of the 15th inning, Schullian cracked the bat for a grand slam, giving the Salukis a 6-2 lead. The Bears couldn’t manage to score, which left SIU with the win.

Schullian had an RBI of four, the next being senior Jenny Jansen with two. Senior Ashley Wood even managed to steal a base in the game.

The second game was less eventful, with Missouri State coming out on top, 2-1. In this game, SIU managed to get players on base but wasn’t able to bring them home.

Neither team scored until the fifth, where the Bears put up two points in their column. SIU answered in the seventh, but only with one point.

With Southern Illinois not being able to match Missouri State, the game ended at the top of the seventh. This puts the Salukis at 11-9 on the season.

Sophomore Rylie Hamilton managed to have the only RBI of the game. Sophomore Elisabeth Huckleberry hit a double for the Dawgs in the game.

The Salukis hope to sweep their series against another conference opponent in Northern Iowa this weekend. The games will take place from March 19-20.

Sports Reporter Cole Daily can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at cdaily_de

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter