String of HBCU bomb threats throughout the U.S

Racial tensions in the United States have increased to the point to where HBCUs (historically black colleges) have now started to receive bomb threats.

So far more than a dozen HBCUs across the U.S. have received bomb threats including Howard University in Washington D.C, Coppin State University in Baltimore, and Jackson State University in Mississippi, Fort Valley State University in Georgia and more.

On Feb. 1 Xavier University of Louisiana (XULA) received a bomb threat. The university released a statement that advised students to stay in their rooms due to the recent threat.

The tweet read: “ALERT! XULA has received a bomb threat & is working w/ authorities. Campus will be remote until 12 p.m. today. Residential students should stay in their rooms until further notice.” 

XULA is not the only school dealing with threats. On Feb. 8 Spelman College in Atlanta, GA received a bomb threat and had to lockdown the campus. 

On Feb. 8 @SpelmanCollege twitter page tweeted:  “This morning, @SpelmanSafety and @Atlanta_Police responded to a potential bomb threat at Spelman. The campus was on lockdown for four hours while officials completed a thorough sweep of the campus. Classes are canceled for today and the campus is closed to visitors.” 

On Feb 18 Morgan State University President Dr. David Willson testified at a congressional hearing to make congress and law enforcement understand the gravity of this situation.

Assistant to the Editor Janiyah Gaston can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @DEJaniyah. To stay up to date with all your Southern Illinois news follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.