Saluki Volleyball swept in Saturday match vs Braves

By Joseph Bernard, Staff Reporter

Saluki Volleyball (5-20, 0-12 MVC) finished their homestand this weekend with a match against the Bradley Braves (13-11, 9-4 MVC) Saturday evening in which they were swept in three sets losing 25-18, 25-16, and 25-21.

The Salukis were highlighted by sophomore outside hitter Nsia Gittens, who led SIU in kills with nine and went second in hitting percentage and blocks with a .222 mark as well as two blocks. Freshman setter Anna Jaworski led the team in assists again with 25, sophomore middle hitter Margherita Giani led in blocks with five, and senior defensive specialist Katy Kluge led in Aces with two and digs with 14.

Also worth noting were sophomore outside hitters Tatum Tornatta and Bailey Neuberger. Tornatta tallied seven kills and a block while Neuberger tallied four kills, two digs, and a block.

In the first set, after being tied 3-all, Bradley went on a 14-5 run to put them up 17-8. SIU fought hard to get it within 5 at 20-15, but Bradley’s offense was too strong and closed out the match by winning 5 of the next 8 points.

Set two was a bit different as SIU came roaring out with a 5-1 lead, but it didn’t last long as the Braves took the next 11 points in a row to go up 12-5. Trying to close the gap, the Salukis got it down to a 5 point lead at 14-9, but another long Bradley run of 7-1 set things up for another Bradley win at 21-10. A Saluki charge was halted later in the match as SIU went down in set two 25-16.

For much of the third set, SIU was actually leading, taking three of the first four points and going up 11-7 at one point, but another long 8-3 run by the Braves gave them the lead at 15-14 for the rest of the set. SIU kept things within four points the rest of the set, but Bradley held on for the 25-21 set win that sealed the match.

The Salukis look to try to snap their losing streak once again with a Monday matchup against the University of Evansville Aces in Evansville Indiana with a 6 p.m first tip.

Sports reporter Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001. 

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.