Besard wins second straight competition as SIU Golf places 5th at Grover Page Classic

SIU+freshman%2C+Hollie+James%2C+chips+the+ball+onto+the+green+at+the+Battle+Between+Southern+and+Bradley+March+14%2C+2021%2C+at+Hickory+Ridge+Golf+Course+in+Carbondale%2C+Ill.+

Sophie Whitten | @swhittenphotography

SIU freshman, Hollie James, chips the ball onto the green at the Battle Between Southern and Bradley March 14, 2021, at Hickory Ridge Golf Course in Carbondale, Ill.

By Cole Daily, Staff Reporter

The Salukis golf team competed in an invitational hosted by UT Martin from Oct. 4-5. The invitational took place at Jackson Country Club.

The Grover Page Classic was won by UT Martin with a score of 852.

Southern Illinois finished the tournament placing 5th. This is where they placed in their last meet, hosted by Drake University.

Saluki senior Matthias Besard won the invitational, finishing with a score of 201. Besard was coming off being named Missouri Valley Conference’s Golfer of the Week last week.

He was followed by freshmen Braden Hoisington who scored 220, which was good enough to tie for 30th place. The third best golfer for the Salukis was senior Tom Cleaton who placed tied for 58th.

The Salukis compete in their next meet on Oct. 18-19, in the TVA Community Credit Union Invitational hosted by the University of North Alabama.

Sports Reporter Cole Daily can be reached at [email protected]

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter