SIU Women’s Swim wins against Missouri State; Men’s lose

By Joseph Bernard, Staff Reporter

The SIU Swim and Dive teams traveled to Springfield, Missouri over the weekend to compete against the Bears. The Women’s won handily against Missouri State by a score of 187-166, while the Men’s team fell 145.5-205.5.

The Women’s team was headlined by freshman Celia Pulido, who took home first place in three separate events, including breaking an SIU school record for the 200-backstroke on Friday Evening with a time of 1:57.56. Pulio also took first in the 200 yard individual medley and the 100 yard backstroke as well.

Also headlining the Women’s team was sophomore Mima Zaborska, who took first in the 200-yard breaststroke on Saturday, freshman Jasmine Rau who took first in the 100-yard butterfly, and sophomore Fernanda Sánchez who took first in the 400-yard Individual Medley.

As for Relays, the Women’s team took first in the 400-yard Medley on Friday and the 400-yard freestyle on Saturday. The Medley earned a time of 3:48.02 with a team made up of Pulido, freshman Ali Robertson, Rau, and fifth year student Sierra Forbord. The Freestyle earned a time of 3:28.31 with a team made up of Forbord, freshman Meesha Montgomery, junior Lucia Romero, and rounding out with Pulido.

The Women’s Diving Team did their fair share with freshman Farida Moussa taking first in the one and three meter diving competition.

As for the Men, performances by junior Adam Cernek, sophomore Donat Csuvarszki, and junior Terry Yang gave the Men’s three individual first places on on night in the 200-yard Backstroke, 50-yard Freestyle, and the 100-yard freestyle.

Men’s Relay teams came back with 2 wins of their own with a time of 1:23.56 time in the 200-yard freestyle relay and a time of 3:03.51 in the 400-yard freestyle relay. The 200-freestyle team consisted of senior Zander Minano, sophomore Will Chavez, sophomore Alex Schuleter, and Czuvarszki to finish it off. The 400-freestyle consisted of Cernek, Chavez, Czuvarski, and senior Zheng Yang Yeap to finish it off.

Also worth noting for the Men, freshman Haywood Lee won first in the one meter diving competition on Saturday.

The Salukis come back to Carbondale next week to face McKendree and Missouri on Friday October 8 and Saturday October 9.

Sports reporter Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001. 

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.