Salukis drop straight sets to Illinois State

By Brandyn Wilcoxen, Staff Reporter

Saluki volleyball (5-12, 0-4 in MVC) lost its seventh consecutive match Saturday evening, a 17-25, 21-25, 17-25 sweep by the Illinois State Redbirds (6-10, 2-2 in MVC).

Junior Nataly Garcia led the Salukis in kills with 11, followed by sophomore Tatum Tornatta with 9. Freshman Anna Jaworski tallied 25 assists. Defensively, senior Katy Kluge totaled 13 digs, and sophomore Ryan Rednour had 10.

The first set of the night was all Redbirds, with Illinois State taking 11 of the first 15 points in the set and maintaining a lead around seven or eight points for the rest of the set.

The second set was closer contested, with the Salukis not allowing the Redbirds to pull away by more than three points until a 9-3 ISU run ballooned their lead to 17-10. SIU fought back, climbing to within a point of tying the set at 21 after five straight points and seven out of eight. However, Illinois State took care of business, taking four of the final five points to win the set 25-21

The Redbirds began the third and final set with two separate six-point streaks to take a commanding 12-2 early lead. While the Salukis were able to trade points back and forth for the rest of the match, they were unable to overcome Illinois State’s early advantage and dropped their third straight set.

The Salukis will look to correct their course when they return home on Oct. 8 to host Drake University. Tip-off from Davies Gym is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Staff reporter Brandyn Wilcoxen can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @Brandyn_2020