Salukis lose first two matches of Redhawk Invitational

Chris Bishop | @quippedmediallc

Nataly Garcia dives for the ball Sept. 17, 2021 in Cape Girardeau, Mo. SIU lost to Southeast Missouri State University 0-3.

By Joseph Bernard, Staff Reporter

The Saluki Women’s Volleyball team lost both of their Friday matches at the Redhawk Invitational in Cape Girardeau. SIU played the Central Arkansas Sugar Bears at 1 p.m, losing 3-1, and finished the night against the Southeast Missouri State Redhawks at 7 p.m, losing 3-0 as well.

Headlining Friday’s affairs for the Salukis was sophomore outside hitter Nsia Gittens, leading the Salukis in kills with 26 throughout both matches. Freshman setter Anna Jaworski also made an impact, with 72 total assists throughout both matches, leading the Salukis.

Senior defensive specialist Katy Kluge led SIU in digs on the day with 33. Freshman middle hitter Averi Vanderzille led the Salukis in blocks with two. Sophomore defensive specialist Ryan Rednour and sophomore middle hitter Margherita Giani shared the lead in service aces with three a-piece.

SIU lost a heartbreaker in their first set with Central Kansas, tying things late at 24 all, but lost the set 26-24. The Salukis dominated the second set with Central Kansas, winning 25-16 with a .367 hitting percentage to even things up at one-all.

The Sugar Bears rose to the challenge in set 3 with a dominant win of their own to take the lead at 2-1. The Salukis lost a close one in set four on a score of 25-20, losing the match against the Sugar Bears.

SIU looked to bounce back against the Redhawks in the evening but failed to earn more than 18 points against the Redhawks in three sets. SIU lost 25-17 in the first set, 18-25 in the second set, and 11-25 in the third set to finish the day off.

The Salukis will look to bounce back from a rough Friday with a match against the University of Tulsa Hurricanes on Saturday with a 12 p.m start time to finish the Redhawk Invitational.

Sports reporter Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.