SIU Men’s Golf earns ninth place at Wildcat Invitational

By Joseph Bernard, Staff Reporter

In their second invite of the year, the SIU Men’s Golf team earned ninth place out of 13 teams in the Wildcat Invitational. The invite was hosted by Kansas State in Manhattan Kansas and lasted from Monday through Tuesday evening.

The Salukis finished with a total score of 50 over par, 50 points above first place Sam Houston who finished even par.

Participants for the Salukis included sophomore Justin Wingerter, senior Tom Cleaton, senior Matthis Besard, freshman Braden Hoisington, and junior Andrew Thornton. Freshman Carsen Silliman also competed as an individual.

Wingerter led the way for the Salukis this invite, with a score of 8 over par throughout the entire invitational and placing 21st overall. Cleaton finished 31st, Besard finished 35th, Hoisington finished 49th, Silliman finished 64th, and Thornton finished 70th.

The Sam Houston Bearkats won the invitational, with four members finishing in the top ten overall and a final score of even par

SIU will continue their season at the Zach Johnson Invitational hosted by Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa on Monday September 27th and Tuesday September 28th.

Sports reporter Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001