SIUC Freshman fatally shot; investigation underway

Keshanna+Jackson+pictured+on+the+SIU+campus.+Photo+provided+by+Kaszcha+Jackson+

Keshanna Jackson pictured on the SIU campus. Photo provided by Kaszcha Jackson

Friends and family are mourning Keeshanna “Shanna” Jackson, shot and killed early Sunday morning in a multi-victim shooting.

At 3:12 a.m, the City of Carbondale Police Department arrived at the 500 block of West Cherry street to respond to multiple shots fired at a party that was taking place. Both SIU students and locals were in attendance at the party. Upon arrival the officers discovered gunshot victim Keeshanna Jackson and attempted to resuscitate her. Keeshanna Jackson was pronounced deceased at the Memorial Hospital of Carbondale. There are three other victims of the shooting who suffered from superficial wounds. The SIU Police Department is assisting in the investigation. 

The family has been notified but there are no current suspects involved in the shooting as the police continue their investigation. Keeshanna Jackson’s older sister, Kaszha Jackson, said the young student had great aspirations when coming to SIUC this fall.

“She just graduated from high school. She started her own nail business, she wanted to go to school to gain knowledge and expand her business professionally,” Kaszcha Jackson said.

Her sister also loved to dance, she said.

“She was so silly and had a bubbly personality. She made everybody laugh and can brighten up anybody day,” Kaszcha Jackson said.

The City of Carbondale Police Department is encouraging the community to report any relevant information to the case. CPD can be contacted via phone at (618) 457-3200.

Community members are also encouraged to report any information or suspicious activity to the Carbondale/SIU Crime Stoppers anonymous tip line at (618) 549-COPS (2677) or the Murphysboro/Jackson County anonymous tip line at (618) 687-COPS (2677).

SIUC students can contact Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) are available to help any students in need of mental health help. Counselorsin Baldwin and Grinell hall will be available for walk-in appointments Sunday August 22 from 3-9pm.

A police press release posted on Explore Carbondale stated  “Please help yourself, along with your county, its communities and the university campus by using these numbers if you witness, or have any information pertaining to, a crime.  Cash rewards for information which leads to an arrest are also made anonymously.  Remember, crime doesn’t pay, but Crime Stoppers does!”