Saluki softball went 2-1 against the Sycamores

By Janae Mosby, Staff Reporter

In the weekend match against Indiana State on April 24 and 25, Southern’s softball team (31-11, 13-7 MVC) went 2-1, defeating the Sycamores 2-1, winning two games 3-1 and 11-1.

The Salukis started the series with an early 2-0 lead from a two RBI by sophomore outfielder AuBree DePron in the second inning which led to runs by sophomore catcher Kerrigan Gamm and junior catcher Danyelle Eliers.

This was followed by an RBI from senior infielder Jenny Jansen in the third inning where senior outfielder Maris Boelens scored, increasing their lead to 3-0.

Indiana State scored a run in the third inning from a RBI by senior first baseman Amanda Guercio where fifth year infielder Mallory Marsicek.

Neither team was able to score for the rest of the game and the Sycamores were not able to gain the lead, so Southern won 3-1.

In the next game, Indiana State scored the first run in the first inning with an RBI from Guercio in which senior outfielder Bella Peterson made it to homebase. They scored their next run in the second inning from junior infielder Lexie Siwek, making the score 2-0.

Both teams struggled with scoring in the last innings, leaving Salukis scoreless for the remainder of the game and giving the Sycamores the win 2-0.

In the last game, SIU started the game with two runs in the second inning from a 2 RBI by freshman outfielder Elizabeth Warwick and senior infielder Meredith Wernig and freshman infielder Elisabeth Huckleberry scored.

This was followed by a run from Indiana State’s senior outfielder Kristen Kelly from a RBI by junior catcher Annie Tokarek.

The Salukis continued to score in the fourth inning with a home run and RBI from Warwick where she and junior catcher Sidney Sikes scored, making the score 4-1.

Southern’s lead increased in the last three innings when the Salukis went on a 7-0 run, with scoring from graduate student catcher Katelyn Massa, Warwick, Jansen, Huckleberry, Sikes and graduate student infielder Maddy Vermejan.

The Sycamores were not able to score for the rest of the game and the Salukis secured the win 11-1.

Staff reporter Janae Mosby can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @mosbyj.