Saluki softball defeated against Saint Louis University

Isabel Miller | @Isabelmmedia

Saluki outfielder Aubree Depron slides into home base on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019 during the Salukis’ 4-0 win against the Murray State Racers at Charlotte West Stadium.

By Janae Mosby, Staff Reporter

The Saluki softball team (29-10, 11-6 MVC) faced Saint Louis University (16-22) April 22. Despite having the lead in the beginning of the fifth inning, Southern was defeated 3-2.

Southern began the game with a run in the second inning by freshman infielder Elisabeth Huckleberry from a RBI by junior catcher Sideny Sikes.

SLU followed with a home run in the bottom of the second inning by junior catcher Kelsey Etling, tying the score 1-1. Both teams were scoreless in the third and fourth inning.

The Salukis broke the scoreless streak in the fifth inning with a RBI by freshman outfielder Bailey Caylor bringing graduate student infielder Maddy Vermejan to home base, giving SIU the 2-1 lead.

The Bilikens took a 3-2 lead in the bottom of the fifth inning with two runs by senior outfielder Kat Lane and senior outfielder Sadie Wise from RBIs by junior outfielder Gabbie Kowalik and senior catcher Alyssa Chavez.

Neither team was able to score in the last two innings and Saint Louis University won the game 3-2.

The Salukis take the field again on April 24 and 25 against Indiana State University in Terre Haute.

Staff reporter Janae Mosby can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @mosbyj.