Several Salukis claim personal bests as SIU wins 17 events in Black and Gold Invitational

Monica Sharma | @mscli_cks

Matisen Ingle winds up during hammer throw on Saturday, March 20, 2021, at the SIU Lew Hartzog Track and Field Complex in Carbondale, Ill.

Saluki track and field won 17 different events in outdoor track and field in their two day Black and Gold Invitational hosted by Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn.

On Friday, senior thrower Ricky Hurley took first pace in the hammer throw, recording a new personal best of 68.86 meters.

Also on throws, senior Clint Mayer took first place in the shot put with a throw of 18.04 meters.

Senior Shaunice O’Neal led the way for throws on the women’s side, as the Salukis finished first, second, third and fifth in the hammer throw, with O’Neal recording a throw of 61.94 meters.

The SIU women also finished first, second and third in the shot put with senior A’veun Moore-Jones leading the way with a throw of 16.44 meters.

Senior jumper Willie Rodgers recorded his season best in the triple jump to notch his second victory in the triple jump this season, jumping 15.06 meters.

Freshman sprinter Willie Johnson won the final event for Southern on Friday, finishing first in the 200 meter race with a new personal best time of 21.56 seconds.

On day two of the event, Moore-Jones left off where she started finishing first in the discus with a throw of 45.46 meters.

Hurley followed suit for the men in the discus throw finishing first with a throw of 52.39 meters.

In the men’s 4×100 meter relay, the group of junior sprinter Corey Sherrod, sophomore sprinter Ja’Den Johnson, sophomore sprinter Kyle Lind, and freshman jumper Dasani Edward ran a time of 41.79 seconds, which was their fastest time of the season.

In the 3000 meter steeplechase, freshman Dawson Smith took first with a time of 9:24.56.

Up next, Southern will be traveling to the Clark Wood Invitational hosted by the University of Louisville on April 23.

Sports Reporter Adam Warfel can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @warfel_adam.

To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.