Southern’s men’s golf team ties for sixth place in Louisiana Classics

Freshman%2C+Vikar+Jonasson+%28right%29%2C+of+Iceland%2C+and+Junior+Sean+Mullan+%28left%29%2C+of+England%2C+practice+their+short+game+at+an+SIU+Men%E2%80%99s+Golf+practice+on+Wednesday%2C+Oct.+3%2C+2018.+%28Carson+VanBuskirk+%7C+%40carsonvanbDE%29+

Freshman, Vikar Jonasson (right), of Iceland, and Junior Sean Mullan (left), of England, practice their short game at an SIU Men’s Golf practice on Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018. (Carson VanBuskirk | @carsonvanbDE)

The SIU men’s golf team played in the Louisiana Classics at the Oakbourne Country Club on Mar. 15-16 and over the past two days, the Salukis tied for sixth place with a score of 875.

The University of Illinois finished in first place with a score of 823, followed by Louisiana (861) in second and North Texas in third (864).

On the first day of the Classics, Southern was in eight place, finishing the day with a score of 588. Senior Birgir Magnusson led SIU after the first day after recording rounds of 74 and 72 finishing two-over par.

Freshman Justin Wingerter followed behind him being one stroke behind Magnusson, finishing three-over par. 

Magnusson tied for 28 after day one and Wingerter came in at 32. Junior Matthis Besard and junior Tom Cleaton tied for 55, while sophomore Josh Mackin sat in 64 going into the final day.

On the final day, Southern made a team score of 290 in the third round, finishing the event with a score of 875. 

Wingerter tied for 33 place with a score of 221, followed by Magnusson in a tie for 45 place with a score of 223. 

Cleaton and Mackin also tied on the final day, with Cleaton tying for 54 with a score of 225 and Mackin tying for 58 with a score of 226.

The Salukis next event will be the Craft Farms Intercollegiate in Gulf Shores, Ala. on Mar. 28-30.

Staff reporter Janae Mosby can be reached at jmosby@dailyegyptian.com or on Twitter at @mosbyj.