Law school ahead of ‘new normal’

By Zach Martin

The university’s law program has already answered national calls for a revised curriculum.

In a Feb. 2 New York Times article, lawyers referenced a need to change the way American law schools educate future counselors, and they shared concerns that law-school graduates are not adequately prepared to practice law. However, Thomas Britton, graduate legal studies director, said the university’s law school is ahead of the curve.

“The ‘new normal’ depends on who you talk to,” he said. “We began shifting our curriculum almost 20 years ago.”

Britton said the article’s “new normal” refers to a need for attorneys to practice law immediately after graduation, and standard lecture curriculums were not meeting the need.

“We began responding to reports in 1991 that told us we should not just be teaching the law but adding professional values and lawyering skills,” he said.

These professional development skills include legal research, advocacy, negotiation and most importantly, legal writing, Britton said.

“We started a program that adds significant legal writing to every single class we teach, because more of a lawyer’s time is spent on critical analysis and written expression,” he said.

Additionally, students complete Semesters in Practice, where they work with and practice law under licensed Illinois attorneys, he said.

“We want our students to go out immediately after graduation and do,” Britton said. “Our dean and faculty are very committed to this mission.”

Cynthia Fountaine, law school dean, agreed with Britton’s assessment.

“There is no question there are many changes occurring in the legal profession and legal education,” she said. “The SIU School of Law has not only been responsive to these changes, but (it) has (also) been out in front of the changes by providing innovative legal educational opportunities for our students.”

Fountaine said the school’s professional development program has received American Bar Association recognition and garnered national attention.

“In addition, we are expanding opportunities that build on curricular strengths in areas such as Intellectual Property, Health Law and International Law that will prepare our students to succeed in a changing legal profession,” she said.

Britton also said the school’s comparatively lower tuition is a bonus for students.

“We’ve always been concerned with the cost of a law school education, and ours is the lowest in the state,” he said. “Plus, our student debt is among the lowest.”

Robert Barickman, a first-year law student from Miami, Fla., said the school’s curriculum is exactly what law students need to succeed. He said he was a three-year law firm employee before he attended school, and attorneys at his firm often complained new graduates knew more law theory than practical skills.

“A lot of that theory is thrown out the door the first day on the job and doesn’t apply,” he said.

Britton said the school’s emphasis might be on practice, but a strong fundamental foundation should not be forgotten.

“Mastering basics like contracts, property law, civil procedure and criminal law is still important, but we have a greater emphasis on student’s expertise in practicing these skills,” he said.

Fountaine said the school strives to continue producing the best law students it can.

“While we have always been focused on our students’ and graduates’ success, we recognize that the legal profession is changing and we want to continue to be innovative and ahead of the curve in this new era of legal education,” she said.