A welcome back message from the Chancellor

By Austin Lane, Chancellor

Students,
Welcome to the spring semester! I hope you had a relaxing break and are ready to be inspired
and engaged when classes start on Tuesday. We look forward to working with you throughout the semester, whether you live on or off campus and whether your classes are online, in person or both.

We heard from a lot of you during the fall that you wished there were more things to do safely
on campus in order to be involved and engaged. We are in the process of creating a menu of
opportunities – including athletic events and student activities – to help. We’ll share it as soon
as it’s ready. Be assured that everything we plan will be reviewed carefully to ensure that we
have followed all required safety precautions.

All of the safety measures you followed in the fall – wearing masks, social distancing, washing
hands – remain in place. Cleaning protocols for classrooms, residence halls and office buildings
continue.

As in the fall, testing will be available to all students throughout the semester. In addition to
drive-through testing, on-campus testing will resume the week of Jan. 25. Watch for updated
information at the COVID-19 testing information site.

(See more: testing).

You can find information about the university’s COVID-19 response and planning, including the
spring semester and Saluki Safety plan, at siu.edu/coronavirus. You may also email us at
[email protected] with questions.

Remember that the university is open to assist you in person, by phone and via email. Please
see contact information and hours for offices that support and serve students.

(See more: Contact information and hours)

Thank you for doing your part to keep our community safe. We look forward to connecting with
you as we launch the semester.

Sincerely,
Austin A. Lane
Chancellor