‘Everything is at stake:’ Voters share what the 2020 presidential election means to them

By Oreoluwa Ojewuyi, Staff Reporter

The general consensus from voters participating in the 2020 election is “everything is at stake.”

Whoever is elected president will be responsible for handling the crisis currently affecting the American people including COVID-19, months of protest against police brutality and the visible effects of environmental deterioration.

Leo Wilson jr,. a local musician from Carbondale, said this election means everything, especially in a new era of the civil rights movement.

“It means everything that we’ve been fighting for the last 50 or 60 years. We might start chipping away at the block now,” Wilson said. “We will keep on, we’ll just keep on, there won’t be a bad reaction. We are going to be alright but we have to keep on moving towards the goal.”

Jaylen Manneel works at Caritas Family Solutions in Carterville, a private agency through DCFS. Manneel was inspired by her grandmother to head to the polls and cast her vote.

“My grandma is the one who made me want to vote. She was alive during those times where she didn’t have the right to vote so I’m going to call her in the car and say ‘Hey I voted,’” Mannel said. “This is going to be good for her because she’s a woman and she’s a Black woman so she’s lived to see her granddaughter be able to vote.”

Brooke Supancic, a first time voter and student at SIU, said her political views have created tension in her family. 

“I’m voting against what my family votes for. My vote goes against what I grew up with. Being here in Carbondale has exposed me to alot and I feel more educated,” Supancic said. 

“I get to vote for Biden who is the right candidate and I just can’t imagine another four years with Trump,” Supcancic said. 

Faith Golz, a soccer player at St. Edward’s University in Austin Texas, said she hopes this election will allow the space and platform for younger voters to express their political priorities and needs. 

“This is an opportunity to have my voice heard on matters I think the American government should be prioritizing like climate change, racial equity and a number of different human rights issues,” Golz said. 

Some voters expressed concern for the aftermath of the election while others showed indifference towards the potential outcomes of the election. 

Nashawn Turner, a student employee at SIUC, said he hopes the elected presidential candidate will influence change and demonstrate real leadership. 

“I think it will be indifferent either way, I still have to do things for myself in my life. No president is going to directly impact that, but I think for me it’s getting that kind of unprofessionalism out of office,” Turner said. “[Trump] incited a lot of violence hopefully whoever wins tonight or tomorrow we will see better leaders.”

Reporter Oreoluwa Ojewuyi can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @odojewuyi