SIU students could return to campus in the fall semester

By Bethany Rentfro, Staff Reporter

SIU students might be able to return to campus in the fall 2020-2021 academic year. 

According to an email from SIU, Chancellor John Dunn issued a statement saying the university is looking forward to the fall semester. 

“We plan a return to on-campus classes, making adjustments that comply with social distancing and other safety requirements recommended by governmental and health agencies,” Dunn said. 

Dunn said the new approach for on-campus classes might vary based on the requirements of each course. 

“Class sizes, mode of delivery, configurations and locations may change to ensure that social distancing is maintained,” Dunn said. “Face-to-face learning may be supplemented by alternative approaches.”

The release said there will be new safety measures on campus to ensure the health of the students is taken into consideration. 

These new safety measures include: providing masks for all faculty, staff and students; enhanced cleaning protocols, limiting event sizes and providing single rooms for students living in residence halls. 

Dunn said the university is targeting to have a plan in place as early as mid-June. 

“There is no doubt that fall 2020 will look a lot different than fall 2019,” Dunn said. “But the goal of providing a quality educational experience in a safe environment will be the same.” 

Dunn said he is optimistic that the southern Illinois region will make the progress needed for a return to modified face-to-face classes in the fall.

Staff reporter Bethany Rentfro can be reached via email at [email protected]

To stay up to date with all the latest news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.