Illinois college offers free study opportunities

By Trey Braunecker

Many university students do not have the financial capability to expand their academic studies outside of a college campus, but a program offered by Augustana College allows its students to learn from different places around the world.

The Chronicle of Higher Education published an article April 29 about a program at Augustana College called Augie Choice. The program helps students find opportunities to stand out academically. Augie Choice sets aside $2,000 for each of its students toward a learning experience of his or her choice. Whether students are interested in international study, internship or research, the study supports their work outside of campus and encourages them to get involved with different organizations. These opportunities are offered at SIU, but many students do not have the funds required to afford these programs.

Keri Rursch, director of public relations at Augustana College, said Augie Choice allows students to work on programs that will make an impact on their studies.

“We know that experiencing these learning opportunities are important for college students, and Augie Choice really does match our culture,” she said. “It is getting out there and meeting new people, getting to know those people and allowing our students to grow in their profession.”

She said Augie Choice offers a range of programs for students to work in, such as research projects, internships and studying abroad.

The money provided for Augie Choice comes from the students’ tuition, Rursch said, so students can tailor outside experience to their studies.

“There are many different programs — take study abroad for example,” she said. “Study abroad is offered in many different ways, and there are many trips that students can take part in, but they also have the chance to build their own opportunities. That is one of the really exciting things I have learned about Augie Choice. It is completely customizable to the student.”

She said students appreciate the opportunities offered by Augie Choice because the experiences prepare them for life after college.

“We have heard so many wonderful things from our students; they appreciate the opportunity, they appreciate the money and what it does to prepare them for future careers or graduate school,” she said.

Thomas Saville, associate director of Study Abroad Programs at SIU, said international studies are a benefit to students because they help them interact with different cultures.

He said whether students are learning another language, understanding different cultures or just showing employers they have the ability to work in a different part of the world, study abroad experience can make a difference in the job market.

“One of the key things about study abroad is it opens students to different cultures, and that is a critical part of what we do,” he said. “I can guarantee you in these days, you will run into other cultures in your everyday life.”

He said the experiences from study abroad programs are invaluable to setting students apart in terms of international interaction.

“I think it is a valuable experience,” Saville said. “I think it is important for students to share their experience and articulate what they have done so they can demonstrate their work. You went there, you stayed in the country, you learned to operate functionally in their culture, you had a successful experience, what did you bring back?”

He said faculty study abroad programs are less expensive, so they are more easily accessible for students.

“Private colleges usually have a little more of an advantage, so it’s easy for a student to go abroad and save a little money, unlike here,” he said. “We do have scholarships for study abroad. We have a number of students who receive scholarship money for study abroad, and particularly we are looking at a new initiative here to grow the number of faculty lead programs.”

He said many people also feel more comfortable going to another country with people they know, so going with a faculty member they trust can make the transition easier.

Brandon Huber, a sophomore from Morrow, Ga., studying business marketing, said studying abroad would be a benefit for his major.

“I have thought about studying abroad, especially in Switzerland, because you can learn a secondary language and travel to do business over there,” he said.

Huber said he is interested in joining a study abroad program, but the travel expenses are too high for the average college student’s budget.

Jordan Nelken, a junior from Glencoe studying fashion merchandising, said she is paying around $5,900 to study in France for a month, but she is excited for the experience.

“I am definitely excited to travel to France, and so are my parents,” she said. “We are all very happy to be able to have this opportunity.”

Saville said most of the students involved in study abroad program are typical SIU students, so there are many opportunities if students actively seek them out.

“Most students in study abroad are on financial aid, but they took the initiative to study abroad,” he said. “If you check, you can find many opportunities in study abroad. It is like a scholarship, if you don’t apply for the scholarship, you won’t get it.”