SIU announces classes to remain online, in alternative formats through end of semester

By Bethany Rentfro, Staff Reporter

SIU Chancellor John Dunn released new additions and developments to the university’s Frequently Asked Questions portion of the coronavirus website

According to the website, the university will remain in an online and alternative format to students for the remainder of the semester due to the uncertainty of COVID-19. 

The website said self-quarantine expectations continue to change and they now include travelers returning from California, Massachusetts, New York and Washington state. 

Students are being asked to follow all guidelines regarding social distancing and eliminating travel and avoiding large crowds, according to a release on the website. 

The website also said the SIU Recreation Center will close tomorrow in an effort to combat the spread of the coronavirus through workout equipment. 

According to a gubernatorial directive, food services will no longer be available in the Student Center. The dining halls will still be open to students and staff only, according to a statement by Dunn on the website. 

Dunn said in a statement to students, faculty and staff the state is currently  in “uncharted territory” and he is deeply impressed with the resilience emanating from within the university. 

“Challenging times can create uncertainty, fear and havoc,” Dunn said. “I am very proud and thankful for the ongoing efforts on campus to work together, to stay focused and to be flexible as we deal with many, many unknowns.” 

Dunn said the university is in coordination with the governor’s office, local health officials and university partners to address a constantly changing situation and people should follow the basics, washing hands, social distancing and remaining optimistic about the future. 

“Ultimately, we will be judged not only of ourselves and family, but also others whose situations might be more fragile […] We are in uncharted waters, and I am very grateful that we are standing together as a community.”

Staff reporter Bethany Rentfro can be reached via email at [email protected]

To stay up to date with all the latest news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.