Increased online courses offer student flexibility

By Trey Braunecker

The university offers a variety of online classes for students who do not have the time or opportunity to complete classes on campus.

Online classes give students the option to pursue an education from almost anywhere they want, said Dan Mussa, director of Computer-Aided Math Instruction and a visiting assistant instructor of mathematics. He said the convenience of completing credit hours without having to step into a classroom helps students fulfill academic requirements for graduation, while still giving them the freedom to work on other projects outside of the university.

Mussa said the math department first started offering online courses last summer when it opened a college algebra course. He said since then, the university has broadened its range of online classes, offering courses such as intermediate algebra, contemporary mathematics and business calculus.

“Since we started offering more classes, we have seen a sizable number of students register for online classes this summer,” he said. “We offered all of these same classes online during the spring semester, but we have noticed even more students have enrolled for classes this summer.”

Across campus, the university has increased the amount of online classes offered from 79 in fall 2012 to 118 this upcoming fall. This summer, the university is offering 68 online classes. Summer 2012 online course numbers could not be obtained from the admissions office.

Mussa said most of the students who take online courses are often in towns surrounding the university such as De Soto or Marion when they sign up, so they do not want to be tied down by a classroom for the semester.

Some professors at the university have started teaching online classes, but still prefer more traditional approaches to educate their students.

Robbie Dean, associate professor of mathematics, said he has enjoyed his experience with online classes, but prefers teaching students face-to-face.

Dean said students do have a few advantages with online courses, but most of them come at the price of sacrificing personal contact.

“With online courses, I never get to see a student in a physical classroom, so my interactions are limited to online classrooms or e-mail,” he said. “When you teach a student in person, you see if they are struggling with an equation, or do not understand a concept. But online, you can not give the same attention to students.”

Dean also said although students have easy access to homework and lecture notes online, they feel less inclined to complete their work when they are not in a university setting and tend to do their work at the last minute.

“When students take online classes, they need to have the initiative to work on their coursework on their own,” he said. “Professors can not be there in person to work with them and remind them exactly what time an assignment is due.”

Marie Funk, a senior from St. Libory studying nutrition, said she started her first online class this summer and has thoroughly enjoyed her experience.

“I really like my class so far. It is really simple and if I ever have any questions, all I have to do is e-mail my teacher,” she said. “Our instructor sort of has a deadline for us to turn in assignments, but I like the class because I can turn the projects in on my own time.”

Although Dean does prefer teaching in an actual classroom, he said he understands the importance of online classes in today’s university setting.

“I enjoy teaching in classrooms more, but I think that is because I am still focused on the old-school style of teaching,” he said. “I know students have personal issues that keep them tied to a certain place, so they do not always have the option to attend classes. It is nice to know students have the opportunity to complete classes outside of a university setting.”