Mahony begins first day of presidency by signing diversity pledge

By Bethany Rentfro, Staff Reporter

Daniel Mahony began his presidency of the SIU system today by signing the CEO Action for Diversity and Inclusion Pledge. 

The two main points of the pledge are to advance diversity and inclusion in the workplace and to cultivate a trusting environment where all ideas are welcomed and employees feel comfortable discussing diversity and inclusion. 

The other points of the pledge are to implement and expand unconscious bias education and to create and share strategic inclusion and diversity plans. 

According to a release from the university, Mahony is committed to fostering a greater sense of openness and respect for others as president. 

“It’s not enough to talk about diversity and inclusion,” Mahony said. “You have to put words into action. I want our campus communities to know that this is a long held commitment that I will continue as system president.” 

More than 150 CEO’s from some of the world’s biggest companies signed this pledge and will develop workplaces where all viewpoints and backgrounds are welcomed and respected. 

The pledge also seeks to create opportunities for employees to feel safe to discuss diversity and inclusion issues. 

Mahony said he is pleased to join other state university leaders in signing the pledge. 

“I hope this becomes a growing list as we all focus our efforts to expand a greater understanding of others across Illinois and beyond,” Mahony said.

Staff reporter Bethany Rentfro can be reached via email at [email protected]