USG concludes semester, looks ahead

By Luke Nozicka

The Undergraduate Student Government made constitutional changes, reviewed allocations and said farewells at its last meeting of the semester.

Treasurer Cameron Shulak said $12,000 will roll over to the fiscal year 2015 Student Organization Activity Fee Control Account.

“That’s actually a number well above anything I can see in the past,” he said. “That’s much more rolled over than in recent history.”

Shulak said the SOAF account is usually near zero balance by mid-late spring.

The Senate debated constitutional changes and passed the document after removing the proposed redistricting of representation and name change of Student Government Association.

Sen. Matt Schmidlin said the name change was necessary.

“It is very difficult for transferring or incoming freshman to say USG because many times I’ve heard, ‘oh, what’s that?’” he said. “But then if I mention student government they say, ‘oh, SGA,’ and they know what it is right away.”

President Adrian Miller recommended the Senate postpone the constitutional amendment because there has been little discussion and debate.

“I would hate to kill (the proposal) without (the Internal Affairs Committee) being here and having more thorough conversation about it,” Miller said.

One member of the IAC, the committee that constructed the document, attended Tuesday’s meeting.

Shulak said discussion is needed to find the general concerns about the amendment.

“This is stuff that would change the face of (USG) as we know it,” Shulak said. “To say, ‘well we need to vote on it,’ probably isn’t the best mindset to take.”

One of the debated changes would create a new house within USG to represent Registered Student Organizations.

USG approved First Year Generations, Full Flutter Dance Team and Friends of Graduate Assistants United as RSOs.

The Senate officially nominated Sen. Nick Roberts as treasurer-elect after Shulak chose him as nominee.

Luke Nozicka can be reached at [email protected]on Twitter @lukenozicka, or at 536-3311 ext. 286.