Upcycling to waste less and create more

By Storey Mayer

Upcycling can turn old trash into treasure.

Ron Dunkel, coordinator of the Student Center Craft Shop, said “Upcycling is taking waste or old materials and transforming them into something new or better than the original.”

The Craft Shop offers an upcycling class throughout the year, which primarily focuses on upcyling of jewelry.

Shawn Vaughn, assistant coordinator of the Student Center Craft Shop, teaches the two-hour class.

Vaughn said upcycling is now a common activity and used in a variety of ways. Jewelry, clothes, furniture, instruments and art are just a few examples of the multitudes of ways upcycling can be used.

“You take an antique or something you already have and make it into something completely different or wearable again,” he said.

Dunkel said upcycling has many uses. Not only is upcycling a way to express creativity and get use out of the junk gathering dust around the house, but also it is very “green.” Recycling actually downgrades the value and quality of materials, while upcycling creates something with greater or equal value.

“It helps keep memories alive as well,” he said. “Something that takes up space, but is still precious, can be put into service again and create something valuable whether fundamental or material.”

Vaughn said upcycling allows people to exercise their creativity and waste less.

“When living in a world of technology where all thing go obsolete, there is something therapeutic about making and reusing things,” Dunkel said.

Storey Mayer can be reached at [email protected] or 536-3311 ext. 254.