Students bond with animals to relieve stress

By Muriel Berry

Rescued pooches of all sizes and breeds came together to boost the morale of SIU students on Wednesday at the Campus Lake Boat Dock.

The St. Francis CARE animal shelter teamed up with the Wellness and Health Promotion Services to create Rover to the Rescue—an event that offered students an opportunity to spend time with rescued animals to relieve stress.

Organizers warned participants to keep the dogs away from Campus Lake to avoid the effects of consuming toxic algae. Students were then allowed to check out one animal for the afternoon.

Nicole Gutierrez, a junior from Oswego studying therapeutic recreation, said the event lets students give affection to other animals that they cannot give to their own.

“I’m a member of the Student Recreation Society, and someone from my group mentioned the event,” she said. “I think this is a good cause because a lot of people are used to comforting their animals at home and here they have a chance to give some love.”

Avona Greene, a freshman from Champaign studying healthcare management, said the event gave her a chance to take a break from schoolwork and relax.

“I love animals and they have caring personalities, and being able to hold and touch them is a great stress reliever,” she said. “Especially after you’ve spent your whole night writing papers and studying.”

Dawn Null, organizer of Rover to the Rescue, said St. Francis received a $100 grant from the American College Health Foundation to create stress-reliving events for students. This grant also funded supplies for St. Francis as well as the dog lounge in the Student Health Center.

Null also said St. Francis was chosen to partner with SIU because it is a no-kill shelter.

“St. Francis takes a lot of rescue animals,” she said. “These animals [get] attention from students and that’s something much needed for them.”

Diane Daugherty, founder of the St. Francis CARE shelter, said the event gave the shelter a chance to recruit students to help the foundation.

“We rely on a lot of students for volunteer help,” she said. “The event is a win-win because students get to give love to these animals for the afternoon and the animals get to be loved.”

She said she founded the shelter because of the high unwanted pet population in southern Illinois.

Dan Griffin, a sophomore from Orland Park on the marketing team for the Recreation Center, said the event helped make students aware of other upcoming activities.

“It’s still really nice outside, and we want to promote all of the other outdoor events going on as well,” he said.