Student leaders to help guide University Housing centennial

By Tai Cox

New residence halls, changes to dining halls part of master plan

With University Housing kicking off its 100th anniversary of on-campus housing during Saluki Family Weekend, new student leaders have picked a special time to serve on area councils.

“This has been a promising year to assume a leadership role as University Housing is celebrating its centennial and launching its master plan,” said Crystal Bouhl, assistant director of marketing in University Housing.

Most of the planned celebration activities are centered around already-existing events, including the Saluki Family Weekend Tailgate, co-sponsored by University Housing, New Student Programs and Undergraduate Admissions, three themed dates with a “Dining through the Decades” twist and an Oct. 13 homecoming tailgate.  Additional events include a University Museum special exhibit and reception, both scheduled for the spring semester, Bouhl said.

Jon L. Shaffer, director of University Housing, said it is also timely that the centennial celebration is held at the same time the university launches its master housing plans, which include rebuilding residence halls and remodeling dining halls.

“What began as one residence hall for women has grown into a diverse and vibrant residential community,” he said. “Our 15 residence halls, four apartment communities and four dining halls provide the venue in which students’ engagement completes the university’s comprehensive learning experience. Ever dynamic, we look forward to a bright future of new housing that will continue the rich tradition of augmenting the SIU Carbondale student experience for generations to come.”

Justin Schuch, hall director for Thompson Point, said there are several events planned by University Housing for students to take part in this year.

“The plan is to enhance the on-campus living experience by listening to all feedback from students, thereby creating more fun activities on campus such as the Halloween bowling night next month,” Schuch said.

Students who reside in the residence halls said they have had positive experiences since moving in this semester.

Candice Sewell, a freshman from Chicago studying radio-television, said her housing experience has been great so far.

“I love my roomie, and housing has been great with helping me adjust to living on my own for the first time,” Sewell said.

Rhonda Washington, a freshman from Chicago studying pre-professional pre-nursing, said it took a lot of adjusting to adapt to college life because she had to get used to being around so many people.

“I love my (Resident Advisers),” Washington said. “I feel like I can go to them for anything, and my roommate is cool as well.”

LaCayya Arnold, a freshman from Evanston studying criminology and criminal justice, said dorm life was a big change for her since this is her first time on her own. She said other students on her floor have all become very close.

“It was a big change for me to be able to come in and out as I please,” Arnold said. “I remember on my first day I asked if we had a time that we had to be in before they locked the doors, and they immediately asked if I was a freshman.”