Saluki women continue dominant doubles play

The SIU women’s tennis team improved to 2-0 Saturday after it defeated Austin Peay 4-3.

The Saluki women improved their doubles record to 6-0 during the meet, held in Clarksville, Tenn. Coach Audra Nothwehr said their doubles success is a result of hard work during the first part of the season.

“We focused our fall season on doubles and working aggressive formations, and also getting the girls to buy in on our doubles system,” Nothwehr said.

In singles play, No. 1 seed junior Melanie Delsart lost to opponent Vanja Tomic (6-2, 6-4) while No. 2 seed Anita Lee won her match, and junior Anastacia Simons won the final match of meet to clinch the overall victory for the Salukis.

Nothwehr said her young team is growing in confidence as the season progresses.

“We have a lot of freshmen … so I knew they would have nerves in our first few matches,” Nothwehr said.  “We are trying to get them some confidence … but yet challenging matches.”

About Akeem Glaspie

My name is Akeem Glaspie. I'm a senior Journalism major with a minor in Creative Writing. I was born in Orlando, Fla., and moved to Elgin, Ill when I was two. I'm a big sports fan who enjoys watching football, basketball and baseball. When I'm not watching sports I'm probably playing video games with friends.