Pension expert to speak on issues

By Seth Richardson

Linda Brookhart will be at SIU Thursday to speak about pension issues facing current and retired faculty.

Brookhart is the executive director of the State Universities Annuitants Association, a lobbyist organization based in Springfield for current and former university and community college employees and retirees. It handles issues such as pension reform and benefits. It currently has 52 state university and community college chapters and over 15,000 members.

Brookhart has been the director of SUAA since March 2007. She was previously with the Taxpayers Federation of Illinois where she served in various capacities as financial secretary, membership director and vice-president.

“She’s very knowledgeable about what is going on in Springfield,” said Bruce Appleby, a retired professor and president of the southern Illinois chapter of the SUAA. “That’s saying a lot because not too many people understand what’s going on in Springfield with pensions and benefits.”

The pension crisis is one of the top issues in the state of Illinois. Massive underfunding issues have the potential to leave thousands of retirees without their state guaranteed pension and benefits.

Appleby said it was particularly important for people who are still employed to attend to find out what is happening with their money in the pension system. He said Brookhart was the best way to find out about these issues.

“Come in and find out what’s happening to your pensions and benefits,” he said. “This is the best source of information you’re going to have.”

The presentation takes place Thursday in the Student Center Auditorium at 5:15 p.m. where Brookhart will be speaking and have a Q&A session. Wine and appetizers will be served before she speaks at 4:30 p.m.

For more information about the SUAA, visit their website at www.suaa.org.