Networks look at shows to keep, ax

By Karsten Burgstahler

At the end of May, network executives will stand in front of advertisers and confess their sins. They’ll let everyone know which television concepts tanked and which ones worked. Advertisers will get first looks at pilots networks are considering, and deals will be made to give shows new life. It’s called Upfronts, and for ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox, presentations could either be pep rallies or funerals.

But before networks and cable reach Upfronts, successful shows already have been renewed and dying shows have been axed.

Here’s a look at what shows will survive, which shows will be saying farewell and which channels have the most to celebrate.

ABC has had a few victories this year, but none of them have been monumental. Hey, what can you expect from a network that at any given point has some version of “The Bachelor” or “Dancing with the Stars?” Although, I can’t blame ‘em — those shows get consistent ratings.

“Once Upon a Time” has been huge for ABC, and even though it hasn’t been renewed for another season, chances look pretty good. ABC’s other juggernaut “Modern Family” is virtually guaranteed another round as well. “Scandal” has been a hit, so I’d say that’s another guarantee.

Standing on shakier ground: “Revenge,” which has had decent ratings but suffered when it moved to Sunday night as ABC attempted to fill the void “Desperate Housewives,” left behind; “Body of Proof,” which hasn’t been axed yet but doesn’t have a great prognosis; and “Last Man Standing,” which has been a decent performer on Fridays.

The channel has struggled with drama this year. “Last Resort” only lasted half a season and “666 Park Avenue” the same. “Zero Hour” was only around for two episodes. Yikes.

ABC will probably stick with its female-centric dramas, such as “Nashville” and “Castle,” which have both been solid performers, along with “Scandal” and (usually) “Revenge.”

On the other hand, CBS will parade around like the king of the world. “Elementary” has been renewed, and CBS doesn’t have to rely on new pilots to find the next great show.

Ratings juggernaut “The Big Bang Theory” has been renewed, and “How I Met Your Mother” will return for a final round. “Two and a Half Men” stars are re-negotiating their contracts, but CBS would be nuts to drop them. “Two Broke Girls” and “Mike and Molly” will keep the Monday lineup solid.

Dramas have faired quite well. “Hawaii Five-0” is a good performer, both versions of “NCIS” have done well, so well in fact that “NCIS: Los Angeles” will have a spin-off this fall. “Person of Interest” has driven ratings, and although “Criminal Minds” has not been renewed yet expect it to. “The Good Wife” has been renewed.

Hit reality shows “Survivor” and “The Amazing Race” have been renewed for new cycles.

“CSI” has survived but “CSI: NY” will most likely bite the bullet come Upfronts.

NBC had a pep rally in December when they came in first in fall ratings. “The Voice” has been a huge hit for them, so much so that the channel runs it twice a year and uses it to launch other shows. “Revolution,” which follows “The Voice” on Mondays, has been a successful high-concept drama, something networks have struggled with ever since “Lost” left the airwaves.

But that’s where NBC’s streak stops. Without “The Voice,” ratings are flat. “The Office,” once a consistent performer, is taking a victory lap and will end May 16. “Go On” and “The New Normal” suffered after losing “The Voice,” but they haven’t fallen off the radar yet. “Deception” has been forgettable, and NBC became the butt of everyone’s joke when they premiered “Do No Harm,” a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde-like series the channel has already tried and canceled before with Christian Slater’s “My Own Worst Enemy.” “Harm” lasted two episodes.

Shows such as “Parks and Recreation” and “Law and Order: SVU” will most likely return, but NBC’s upfront presentation to garner a chilly reception from advertisers.

“American Idol,” Fox’s trusted rock, hasn’t fared so well against “The Voice.” Audiences want new twists on the singing competition format, and “American Idol” simply isn’t delivering. However, ratings are solid enough for Fox to keep it around.

Fox also owes a lot to Seth MacFarlane. “Family Guy” and “American Dad” have both been renewed, and while “The Cleveland Show” has yet to receive a callback, I don’t think Fox will dump it. I could be wrong.

Like ABC, Fox drama is mediocre. “The Following” has been quite a success and was renewed for a second season; Fox follows the cable format of shorter non-stop seasons with “The Following,” and I think the method is paying off dividends.

“Fringe” ended this year, and “Touch” probably won’t get a renewal. We won’t even talk about “The Mob Doctor.” Yes, “Bones” is a success, but Fox yearns for the days when “24’ and “House” sustained ratings. Fox just hasn’t struck gold yet.

Fox comedy has fared better. “Glee” is expected to return for another season; “Raising Hope,” “New Girl” and “The Mindy Project” have already been renewed.

Best of the Rest: 

Ratings are a lot stronger on cable. In fact, “The Walking Dead” attracted more than 13 million viewers Sunday for its season finale. “Game of Thrones” is huge, and “Homeland” has become a success for Showtime.

Although “Dexter” is expected to come to an end this summer, channel execs feel confident enough to use “Dexter” to launch new drama “Ray Donovan.”

AMC is probably the biggest victor. Besides “Walking Dead,” “Mad Men” is a hit and returns Sunday. “The Killing” returns this June as well. But AMC has a crisis ahead of it; “Breaking Bad” ends this summer. How AMC deals with a flagship show’s departure remains to be seen, but I’m confident execs have something up their sleeves.

Karsten Burgstahler can be reached at [email protected], on Twitter @kburgstahler_DE or by phone at 536-3311 ext. 254.