McGee in, last season’s assistants out for men’s basketball

By Joe Ragusa

Men’s basketball coach Barry Hinson made his first hire Tuesday, picking up Terrance McGee for the coaching staff.

McGee played under Hinson at Missouri State from 2001 to 2003, and has spent the last two years as an assistant coach at Grand Valley State University in Allendale, Mich.

“He’s loyal, he’s energetic, he’s enthusiastic and he really wants to be a Saluki,” Hinson said Tuesday.

Hinson said he hasn’t decided what McGee’s official title or role with the team will be other than as a coach. He also said there won’t be a timetable for when the other two assistant coaches the team can have will be hired, but he said Friday the process might last into summer.

McGee’s hire comes with news that last year’s assistants – Ron Smith, Brad Korn and Anthony Stewart – won’t be returning to SIU. Hinson said the coaches were very cordial when he told them Friday and that he’ll do whatever he can to help them in their future endeavors.

“I’ve got a little Harry Truman in me; the buck stops with me,” Hinson said. “I did what I thought was best for our program and best for me as a head coach.”

The players were told of the decision to release last season’s assistants Monday, and Hinson said Friday that he wouldn’t keep a coach just to keep a player if that situation arose.

Hinson said the hiring process for the other two assistant coaches is an ongoing process he works on daily.

“My timetable is based on the best person that I can put in this position that will help our program, and the best person that I can find that wants to be a Saluki,” he said.

According to a press release, McGee will begin recruiting right away with the spring signing period starting today.

“I’m ready to take the step to Division I and work for coach Hinson, who has been a mentor and a father figure for me,” McGee said in a press release.