Luke Bryan rocks Soldier Field

By Brent Meske

Chicago is essentially a polar opposite of country music. Skyscrapers and dirt trails do not normally mix, but that all changed over the weekend.

Luke Bryan brought the “That’s My Kind of Night” tour to Soldier Field on Sunday. Dierks Bentley, Lee Brice, and Cole Swindell joined Bryan for his last stadium show of the tour.

Swindell opened the show with a passionate and energetic 30-minute set. The crowd waved its hands as Swindell sang “Swayin’.” As his set came to an end, Swindell held the microphone away from his mouth as the crowd took over singing his former No. 1 hit “Chillin’ It.”

As the night wore on, Brice took the stage and couldn’t find a rhythm. Throughout his set, Brice could not choose between screaming or whispering the lyrics of his songs. The crowd did not mind helping him along though. Fans enthusiastically yelled during the chorus of Brice’s newest single, “Beer,” and sang along with his more popular hits, “Hard To Love,” “I Drive Your Truck” and “A Woman Like You.”

When the sun went down, the stage lit up as Bentley played his set. Fans proved they were there to party as he sang “Am I The Only One,” “5-1-5-0” and his newest hit “Drunk on a Plane.” After singing “Tip It on Back,” Bentley pulled a fan on stage to shotgun a Miller Lite in front of a max-capacity crowd.

Bentley also explained the meaning behind his song, “I Hold On.” He told a story of his father driving with him from Arizona to Tennessee to start his career. To this day, Bentley still drives the same 1994 pickup truck. For “I Hold On,” Bentley brought out his guitar that he has used his entire career and pointed out signatures from some of country’s biggest stars including Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, George Strait and George Jones.

After hours of enjoying other acts, fans got what they were waiting for when Bryan took the stage. As the lights died out, floodlights centered on the middle of the stagewhere Bryan emerged standing atop a truck singing “That’s My Kind of Night.”

Later in the show, Bryan brought Brice back out on stage to cover Eli Young Band’s hit song, “Crazy Girl.” Brice wrote the song and was brought to tears when the crowd took over to sing the chorus.

Swindell came back out on stage to join Bryan in singing Florida Georgia Line’s “This is How We Roll.” Bryan and Swindell co-wrote the song and Bryan is featured in the song on Florida Georgia Line’s album “Here’s to the Good Times.”

At a point during the concert, Herrin native David Lee Murphy joined Bryan and Bentley on stage to sing his classic song, “Dust On the Bottle.”

Murphy, Bryan and Bentley each took over singing a verse of the song before the crowd sang the final chorus.

Bryan came back out for an encore that included “Play It Again,” and the popular “Country Girl (Shake It For Me).” Fireworks erupted as Bryan “shook it” for the crowd as the concert came to an end.

Brent Meske can be reached at [email protected], on Twitter @brentmeskeDE or at 536-3311 ext. 273