Letter to the editor December 5, 2012

Dear Editor,

The American Cancer Society sponsors, donors and volunteers of Southern Illinois are the best.

This past Relay For Life season has been unlike any other. During that time, a tornado struck in Gallatin and Saline Counties, there was unbearable heat and we have been in one of the worst economic recessions since the 1930s. But none of this has dampened our spirits to carry out the life-saving mission of the American Cancer Society.

Nineteen Relay For Life events took place this past year in the 22 counties of southern Illinois.

With the help of our regional sponsors— River Radio, Southern Illinois Healthcare, The Southern Illinoisan, St. Mary’s Good Samaritan Incorporated, Withers Broadcasting and WSIL TV and all of our dedicated volunteers, we have been able to raise the much needed funds to carry out the American Cancer Society’s mission.

The money raised will help cancer patients and their families in a time when they need our help more than ever.

Thank you again to all who supported Relay For Life, and I anticipate an even more exciting 2013 season.

I would also like to personally thank the American Cancer Society staff of the Southern Region.

Without their dedication, these relays would not be nearly as successful.

Having been personally touched by cancer, it is without hesitation that I applaud all of the Marion staff and the services they provide for the people in our region.

Sincerely,

Rhonda Cox

American Cancer Society,

Southern Region,

Leadership Council Chair