Jezebel fixated on Photoshop fix

By Ashley Zborek

Vogue fashion magazine has released its February edition which features Lena Dunham, writer, director and actress on the HBO series “Girls,” as its front cover story.

Shortly after the February issue was released Jezebel, a general interest women’s website, called out Vogue for editing the photos of Dunham before publishing them.

Seriously Jezebel? Would you ever expect a non-edited photo to appear in any publication? Especially Vogue, a magazine that has a reputation of only featuring unrealistically beautiful models that wear a size double zero on their covers? Of course not!

The feminist blog ended up posting a $10,000 bounty on the unedited photographs, and within a few hours, had the versions posted on the website, which is a total invasion of privacy.

Don’t you think that if Dunham wanted those photos posted, she would have done it herself? The photos were placed side by side and it was obvious that the edits were only minor, mostly focusing on lighting. But, just to ensure that they were making their point, Jezebel went on to point out EVERY SINGLE CHANGE.

Here are a few examples, “Line near mouth on face removed, jawline sharpened, neckline of dress pulled up — cleavage altered, armpit covered, waist/hip smoothed, made narrower, elbow shadow/dimple removed, hands smoothed.”

I do not know what this post was supposed to accomplish, but it ended up just pointing out every flaw on Dunham’s body.

Which, if you ask me, is way worse than photoshopping themout. I mean, seriously; it’s not like they trimmed her by 20 pounds, they removed an elbow dimple.

Dunham, who is known for being comfortable in her own skin, is frequently involved in nude scenes showcasing her self proclaimed “normal girl body.”

Dunham identifies as a feminist, and if she has no problem being featured in Vogue, I do not see why Jezebel should. After all, the majority of the article written by Nathan Heller celebrates Dunham for being so original and hard working. She is even dubbed the “New Queen of Comedy.”

Do you think the fact that Vogue has transitioned to featuring talented and real women such as Dunham, Michelle Obama and Adele is something to celebrate instead of analyzing under a microscope? Speaking of which, you don’t see Jezebel going on a tirade when Vogue features women like Kate Moss, and that is probably because her conventional attractiveness wouldn’t make for such an easy target.

Jezebel went on to criticize the spread’s photographer Annie Leibovitz, whom, by the way, is probably considered one of the most famous and talented portrait photographers of all time, for creating composite photos and making the photos artsy looking.

Who cares? No one is expecting Vogue, the fashion bible, to be National Geographic. On the contrary, its artfulness is part of the appeal and attacking the photographer for doing her job doesn’t really expose anything except for Jezebel’s attempts to hate on Vogue.

Dunham took to twitter responding to the blog posts with this, “Some s— is just too ridiculous to engage. Let’s use our energy wisely, 2014.”

Maybe the stint was a plan for the blog to gain more views, but in the end, Jezebel made itself look like a bunch of fools.