Herrin knocks off Carterville in battle of Williamson County

By Thomas Donley

The last time Herrin High School and Carterville High School met on the football field, most current high school students had not yet been born.

Saturday afternoon, the two schools met in Carterville with a trip to the Illinois High School Association football semifinals on the line.

Herrin made the most of its opportunity to advance to its second ever semifinal game on the strength of an explosive fourth quarter.

The Tigers (11-1) came away with a 28-7 victory over the previously undefeated Lions (11-1).

Defense was the story of the game for both sides. Both teams combined for nine turnovers, six caused by Herrin. After three quarters, the score was tied at seven apiece.

Carterville’s best chance to score in the first half came after an interception by senior defensive end Brayden Bisaillon deep in Herrin territory, but junior Jeff Giffey’s 30-yard field goal attempt fell short.

The lone touchdown of the first half came on the next play when senior fullback Brent Milner ran 80 yards into the end zone on the next play. Herrin took a 7-0 lead into the locker room at halftime.

Junior quarterback Blake Hicks tied the game with a 5-yard touchdown run with 6:50 to play in the third quarter.

After a sequence of five possessions that resulted in four turnovers, Carterville pinned Herrin at its own 11 with nine minutes remaining.

On the first play of the possession, Milner ran for an 89-yard touchdown to pull the Tigers ahead for good.

Senior running back Chase Merrill added a 15-yard touchdown run to pad the lead with 6:31 left in the game, and senior linebacker Chris Butler returned Hicks’s fourth interception of the game for a touchdown to make the score 28-7.

Milner finished the game with 229 yards rushing and two touchdowns. The Tigers finished the game with 305 total rushing yards.

After the game, Milner praised his offensive line.

“We had really good blocking,” Milner said. “I wouldn’t have went anywhere without the blocking.”

Bisaillon led Carterville with 126 yards on the ground.

The Lions entered the game averaging 41.5 points per game offensively.

This is the first year IHSA has placed Carterville in Class 4A. The Lions’ previous 12 playoff appearances had come at the 3A level.

Carterville coach Dennis Drust praised his team’s effort for the whole season.

“Just look at the record and the accomplishments,” Drust said. “The bump to 4A and what we did at 4A, I think, speaks for itself. The kids have been focused all year.”

The win was Herrin’s 11th of the season, a school record. The Tigers will face the winner of Bloomington Central Catholic High School and Rochester High School in next weekend’s semifinal game.

Herrin senior Josh Haynes, who had two interceptions in the quarterfinal game, said the proximity of the two towns made for a unique atmosphere.

“A lot of our friends were on that team, and it’s kind of disappointing to see them lose,” Haynes said. “It was a great atmosphere having so many fans come out here to see who is the best team in Williamson County.”

Thomas can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter @tdonleyde